OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – The Amherst College softball team fell to No. 4 University of Texas at Tyler, 13-0 in five innings in Friday evening's NCAA Division III Championship contest at the ASA Hall of Fame Softball Stadium in Oklahoma City, Okla.
With the loss, Amherst moves to 34-11 on the season and will take on NESCAC and Little III rival Williams College (37-12) on Saturday, May 27 at 4:30 p.m. EST (3:30 p.m. CST) at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium. UT Tyler advances to Sunday and will take on the winner of Illinois Wesleyan University and Virginia Wesleyan College.
In the top of the first, UT Tyler scored eight runs on five hits and a pair of Amherst miscues to take an early lead. The Patriots used RBI singles from Bianca Van Vlerah, Kaylee Prather and Cheyenne Thompson, while two other runs came in via hit batters. Lexi Ackroyd also drove in a run on a fielder's choice to help UT Tyler establish the 8-0 advantage.
The Patriots struck for three more runs in the top of the second when Ackroyd drew a two-out, bases-load walk, before Prather drove in a pair on a base hit through the left side to extend the lead to 11-0. Lauren Tuiskula '17 entered in relief in the circle for Amherst and forced the next batter to ground out to end the inning.
The Mammoths found some rhythm in the bottom of the second when Alena Marovitz '17 cracked a leadoff single to center field and advanced to second a base hit to left by Julia Turner '19. A ground out by Ally Kido '18 advanced the runners 60 feet into scoring position but UT Tyler was able to get out of the jam unscathed.
The Patriots added two more runs in the top of the fourth when Cheyenne Thompson connected for a one-out single to right field that drove in two runs to make it 13-0. From there, UT Tyler was able to keep Amherst off the board, retiring the Mammoths in order in the fourth, and allowed just one hit to Tuiskula in the bottom of the fifth to seal the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Tuiskula, Sammy Salustri '19, Marovitz and Turner registered a hit each for Amherst, while Gina Pagan '18 (23-5) suffered the loss in the circle.
- Prather and Thompson were each 3-for-4 at the plate for UT Tyler, and combined for seven RBI.
- KK Stevens, Whitney Romero, and Ackroyd drew two free passes each as Patriots batters earned eight walks in the contest.
- In the circle, Alaina Kissinger (26-2) tossed a complete game, four-hit shutout with four strikeouts to help secure the win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst is now 11-7 in NCAA Tournament games.
- The Mammoths will take on their league rivals for a sixth time this season. Williams won the regular season series, 2-1, posting victories of 2-1 and 5-2. Amherst clinched a 4-3 (9 innings) victory to avoid the sweep. The Ephs then earned 8-2 and 9-1 (5 innings) wins during the NESCAC Championship tournament.