CLERMONT, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team split its final doubleheader of its Spring Break trip Saturday morning as it defeated Babson 3-1, before dropping its final game to Wisconsin Whitewater, 6-3 in Clermont, Fla.
With the split, Amherst returns to the Pioneer Valley with a 7-5 overall record.
• The Purple & White out-hit Babson, 3-2, plating one run in the second frame before the Beavers knotted the game at one in the fourth. Amherst tacked on two more in the fifth to secure the victory.
• Kyra Naftel '19 notched a two-RBI single to center field to lead the Amherst attack.
• Ally Kido '18 and Julia Turner '19 also belted a hit each for the Purple & White while Turner drove in the first RBI of the contest.
• Gina Pagan '18 (4-3) tossed a two-hitter with nine strikeouts in the winning effort.
WISCONSIN WHITEWATER HIGHLIGHTS
• Wisconsin Whitewater was first on the board, notching a tally in the bottom of the second before Amherst plated two scores in the third to take its only lead of the contest.
• The Warhawks answered with two runs of its own in the bottom of the inning, while Amherst knotted the game at three in the fourth. Whitewater would tally two more in the fifth and another in the sixth to earn the 6-3 victory.
• Kido stayed hot at the dish for the Purple & White going 2-for-3 with a homerun, while Lauren Tuiskula '17 also posted a multi-hit game going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
• Kate Kopatic '20, Alena Marovitz '17, Turner and Naftel contributed with a hit a piece for Amherst.
• Tuiskula (0-1) was credited with the loss pitching 4.1 innings with two strikeouts before Lorena Ukanwa closed out the contest with 1.2 innings pitched and one strikeout.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Pagan's last two outings in the circle resulted in a 1-hitter and a 2-hitter with a combined 25 strikeouts.
• Lorena Ukanwa and Pagan have combined for 91 strikeouts in 12 games with Pagan averaging 9.61 strikeouts per game and Ukanwa averaging 8.73.
• Naftel owns a team-high 5-for-5 stolen bases and a team-high 16 hits.
• The Amherst softball team returns to the Pioneer Valley to take on Trinity (Conn.) Saturday, March 25 in a non-conference doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m.