LEESBURG, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team dropped both games of its doubleheader Friday morning as it fell to Wisconsin Oshkosh 6-3, before being edged by Arcadia, 2-1 in eight innings during Spring break action in Leesburg, Fla.
With the losses, Amherst drops to a 6-4 overall.
• Amherst was first on the board with three runs in the bottom of the second before Wisconsin-Oshkosh answered back with three of its own in the top of the third to knot the game. The Titans tallied a run in the fourth and two in the sixth to secure the win.
• Sara Buck '19 led the Purple & White's offense going 1-for-2 at the dish with a walk and a run scored.
• Kyra Naftel '19 and Annie Murphy '19 also notched a hit a piece for Amherst going 1-for-3 at the plate.
• Lorena Ukanwa '19 (2-1) was credited with the loss striking out five in the six innings pitched while Lauren Tuiskula '17 finished the final inning with a strikeout.
• In what proved to be a pitchers dual, both teams combined for just 4 hits in the contest, with Arcadia's lone hit coming in the first frame resulting in a run scored. Amherst tied the game in the top of the sixth on an Arcadia error, but neither team could plate a winning run in the seventh.
• The Knights held Amherst scoreless on the international tie-breaker before taking advantage of a Purple & White error to earn the victory.
• Lauren Tuiskula '17 scored the lone run for Amherst and notched a hit in the loss.
• Ally Kido '18 and Andrea Sanders '20 also contributed with a hit each.
• Gina Pagan '18 hurled a one-hitter in the loss while struck out 16 batters faced.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Lorena Ukanwa and Pagan have combined for 81 strikeouts in 10 games with Pagan averaging 9.74 strikeouts per game and Ukanwa averaging 9.0, respectively.
• The Amherst softball team wraps up their spring break trip tomorrow, March 18, taking on Babson at 9 a.m. and Wisconsin Whitewater at 11 a.m.