LEESBURG, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team split its doubleheader Wednesday morning, posting a come from behind win over Bowdoin, 9-8 before falling to Washington (Mo.), 9-1 in six innings during Spring break action in Leesburg, Fla.
With the split, Amherst improves to a 6-2 overall record.
• Bowdoin plated five runs in the first two innings before the Purple & White answered back with a run of its own in the bottom of the second. The Polar Bears added three more scores in the fourth frame to extend its lead 8-1, before Amherst tallied two in the bottom of the fifth and then rallied in the seventh to steal the victory.
• Andrea Sanders '20 continued to stay hot for the Purple & White's offense going 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI, including a walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh.
• Sammy Salustri '19 and Annie Murphy '19 contributed with two hits a piece while Lauren Tuiskula '17 and Kate Kopatic '20 each added a hit.
• Gina Pagan '18 improved her record to 3-1 on the season tossing the final two innings with no hits, no runs, and no walks to go along with three strikeouts.
WASHINGTON (MO.) HIGHLIGHTS
• The Purple & White scored its lone run in the top of the third when Sanders and Julia Turner '19 both drew a walks before Kyra Naftel belted a single to center field to plate Sanders.
• Senior Alena Marovitz '17 was the only other player to notch a hit as Bears' pitcher Anna McKee tossed a two-hitter with seven strikeouts.
• Gina Pagan was credited with the loss for Amherst, pitching 3.2 innings before Jackie Buechler '17 entered the game in relief.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Lorena Ukanwa and Pagan have combined for 60 strikeouts in eight games with Ukanwa averaging 9.86 strikeouts per game and Pagan 8.23, respectively
• The Amherst softball team will return to action Friday, March 16 to take on Wis.-Oshkosh at 8:00 a.m. followed by Arcadia at 10:30 a.m.