LEESBURG, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team continued its strong start to the season, earning a 3-0 win over Millsaps before run-ruling Salve Regina, 12-2 in six innings, in Tuesday's Spring Training doubleheader in Leesburg, Fla.
With the sweep, Amherst's overall record improves to 5-1.
- In what started out as a pitchers dual for the majority of the game, the Purple & White posted three runs in the top of the sixth to secure the win.
- Alena Marovitz '17 laid down a perfect bunt on a suicide squeeze to record what proved to be the game-winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Andrea Sanders '20 led the Amherst offense going 2-for-3 at the plate with an RBI.
- Sammy Salustri '19 and Lauren Tuiskula '17 added a single each for the Amherst offense.
- Gina Pagan '18 tossed a two-hitter in the winning effort, striking out six batters and walking one.
SALVE REGINA HIGHLIGHTS
- The Purple & White scored in five of the six innings played and notched a season-high 18 hits in the 12-2 victory.
- Kyra Naftel '19 and Tuiskula were both 4-for-5 at the dish. Naftel scored four times with one RBI, while Tuiskula had four RBI and one run scored.
- Ally Kido '18, Sara Buck '19, and Salustri also had multi-hit games, while Kate Kopatic '20 blasted a two-RBI double.
- Lorena Ukanwa '19 pitched a complete game with four strikeouts in the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Purple & White has outscored opponents 42-14 in the six games to start the season.
- Pagan leads the pitching staff in ERA (0.74) while Ukanwa owns 27 strikeouts and leads the team in strikeouts per game with 11.12 K/7.
- Sanders has tallied at least one hit in all six contests, including three multi-hit games.
- The Amherst softball team returns to the field Wednesday, March 15 to take on Bowdoin at 8:00 a.m. followed by Washington (Mo.) at 10:30 a.m.