LEESBURG, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team held onto a one-run lead to secure a thrilling, 6-5 victory over Lake Forest, before suffering its first setback of the 2017 season, 6-5 to Endicott in Sunday's twinbill in Leesburg, Fla.
With the split, Amherst overall record moves to 3-1 on the year.
LAKE FOREST HIGHLIGHTS
- The Purple & White held a 6-0 lead following the first five innings of action, before Lake Forest cut the deficit in half in the sixth and pulled within one in the top of the seventh but couldn't plate another run to tie the contest.
- Ally Kido '18 was solid at the plate going 2-for-2 with a triple, run scored, and an RBI.
- Senior Lauren Tuiskula was 2-for-3 at the dish with a run scored and an RBI.
- Alena Marovitz '17, Kyra Naftel '19, Sammy Salustri '19, and Andrea Sanders '20 each added a hit in the winning effort.
- Jackie Buechler '17 was credited with the win, while Lorena Ukanwa earned the save, striking out 13 in six innings in the circle.
- Amherst was first on the board with a run in the first inning, but the Gulls answered back with three runs of their own. The Purple & White tied the contest in the second and scored the go ahead run in the third before plating another in the seventh. Endicott secured the win in the bottom of the seventh, scoring three runs to steal the game.
- Naftel and Marvotiz notched two hits a piece to pace the Purple & White's offense.
- Kate Kopatic '20 pinch hit for a single, while Salustri, Sanders, and Annie Murphy each added a hit.
- Tuiskula was credited with the loss, while Gina Pagan '18 struck to 10 batters in the 6.1 innings pitched.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Ukanwa leads the Purple & White's pitching staff in ERA (0.64) and strikeouts (23) with just 11 innings pitched, while Pagan is close behind with a 1.17 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 12 innings.
- Naftel, Sanders, and Marovitz have each recorded at least one hit in all four games.
- The Amherst softball team returns to the field on Tuesday, March 14 when they take on Millsaps at 10:30 a.m. followed by Salve Regina at 1:00 p.m.