CLAREMONT, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team busted open the 2017 season. Highlighted by phenomenal pitching and stellar swings in both games, the Purple & White swept their season opening doubleheader Saturday afternoon, run-ruling the University of New England, 9-1 in five innings, and defeating Wittenberg, 7-0 to start its Spring Break trip.
U. NEW ENGLAND HIGHLIGHTS
- The Purple & White had a breakout third inning, posting six runs before tacking on three more in the bottom of the fourth frame to end the game early.
- Andrea Sanders '20, Alena Marovitz '17, and Ally Kido '18 were all perfect at the plate going 2-for-2. Each hitter also drew a walk in the contest.
- Marovitz highlighted the contest with two homeruns and four RBI, while Kido notched two doubles and one run scored.
- Making her collegiate debut, Sanders added an RBI and a stolen base in the winning effort.
- Sophomore Lorena Ukanwa hurled a two-hitter, including 10 strikeouts, to pick up her first win of the season in the circle.
- Amherst recorded all seven runs in the fifth inning, capitalizing on six hits and five Wittenberg errors.
- Kyra Naftel '19 helped pace the offense, going 3-for-4 at the dish with an RBI and a run scored, while Lauren Tuiskula '17 was 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Marovitz and Sanders stayed hot in game two, notching two hits apiece and plating a run each.
- Gina Pagan '18 tossed six innings, striking out seven, to pick up her first win of the season, while Jackie Buechler '17 struck out two of the four batters she faced in the last inning.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst out-hit both teams 19-7 on the day.
- The Purple & White pitching staff recorded 19 total strikeouts.
- The Amherst softball team will take on Lake Forest and Endicott Sunday, March 12 at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., respectively.