WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass.- The Amherst College softball team won its first game of the day against Trinity, 4-3 to hold onto a playoff spot before falling to Tufts, 3-1 in the NESCAC Championship double-elimination tournament.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS – Amherst 4, Trinity 3
- The Purple & White jumped out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning due to a Sammy Salustri '19 one-out double before Alena Marovitz moved her over on a ground out. Taylor Summers '16 forced a Trinity error that score Salustri for the first run of the game.
- Following a scoreless second inning, Amherst was back at it with their bats as Marovitz singled up the middle before Summers reached first on a fielder's choice. Senior Nicolette Miranda would then tally an extra base hit to score summers on a two-out double to make it a contest 2-0.
- With four innings in the books, Summers continued to stay consistent at the dish for Amherst, notching a single to left field before stealing second base on the next pitch. Lauren Tuiskula reached first on an error while Summers plated another run on defensive indifference.
- Responding in a big way in the bottom of the fifth, Bantam Elizabeth McQuaid blasted a three-run homerun to tie the contest at three all.
- The Purple & White answered back in the seventh as Bailey Plaman '18 scored the game winning run on a sacrifice fly ball.
- Tuiskula earned the win in the circle pitching two innings of relief for the Purple & White to even her record to 2-2.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS – Amherst 1, Tufts 3
- Tufts was first to tally a run in the second inning, using three hits, a walk, and an Amherst error to take a 1-0 lead.
- A leadoff single by the Jumbos followed by a walk allowed the Jumbos to be in scoring position. Sara Willner-Glwerc singled then singled with one out to load the bases before Carrie Copacino drove in their first run of the game. Christine Raso hit a hard grounder to cause a Purple & White error and tallied another run to take a 2-0 lead.
- Senior Brianna Cook answered back with a one out single before Tuiskula and Plaman tallied singles of their own in back-to-back at bats. Turner's the sent a hard hit into play to force a Jumbo error and plate Amherst's only run of the game.
- Raven Fournier ripped a solo homerun as an insurance run for Tufts in the top of the third to help the Jumbos secure the 3-1 win.
- Tuiskula tossed a complete game in the circle but was credited with the loss, 2-3.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst out-hit Trinity, 11-6 as Summers and Salustri both notched two hits a piece.
- In game two against the Jumbos, both teams recorded 7 hits a piece.
- Plaman led the Amherst offense in the loss, going 2-for-3 with a double while Salustri also notched two hits.
- Closing out the regular season with an overall record of 24-12, the Amherst College softball team now awaits an at-large bid for NCAA Division III Softball Championships.