WILLIAMSTOWN, MASS- The Amherst College softball team won its game against Trinity, 4-3 to hold onto a playoff spot before falling to Tufts, 3-1 in the NESCAC double-elimination tournament for its second loss in playoffs.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS – Amherst 4, Trinity 3
- The Purple & White jumped out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning due to a Sammy Salustri '19 one-out double before Alena Marovitz moved her over on a ground out. Taylor Summers '16 ran down the first base line just in time to cause a Trinity error and score Salustri.
- After a scoreless second inning on both ends, Amherst was back at it with the bats as Marovitz singled up the middle before Summers reached first on a fielder's choice. Senior Nicolette Miranda added another extra base hit in the tournament to score summers on a two-out double to lead the contest 2-0.
- After four complete, Summers continued to stay consistent at the dish for Amherst notching a single to left field before stealing second base on the next pitch. Lauren Tuiskula reached first on an error while Summers plated another run on a defensive indecision.
- As Amherst led the game 3-0 going into the bottom of the fifth, Elizabeth McQuaid blasted a three-run homerun to tie the contest.
- The Purple & White answered back in the seventh as Bailey Plaman '18 scored the game winning run on a sacrifice fly ball in the top of the seventh and held Trinity scoreless in the bottom half to clinch the victory.
- Lorena Ukanwa '19 earned the win in the circle for the Purple & White to improve her record to 9-4.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS – Amherst 1, Tufts 3
- After out-hitting the Jumbos 14-6 earlier this morning, Tufts was first to tally a run in the second inning on three hits, a walk, and an Amherst error.
- A leadoff single by the Jumbos followed by a walk allowed the Jumbos to be in scoring position. Sara Willner-Glwerc singled then singled with one out to load the bases before Carrie Copacino drove in their first run of the game. Christine Raso hit a hard grounder to cause a Purple & White error and tallied another run to take a 2-0 lead.
- Senior Brianna Cook answered back with a one out single before Tuiskula and Plaman rallied behind her with singles. Turner's hit created a Jumbo error to score Amherst's only run of the game.
- Raven Fournier ripped a solo homerun as an insurance run for Tufts in the top of the third that would be the last run plated in the game.
- Tuiskula tossed a complete game but was credited with the loss.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst out-hit Trinity 11-6 in the victory as Summers and Salustri both notched two hits a piece.
- In game two against the Jumbos, both teams notched 7 hits a piece.
- Plaman led the Amherst offense in the loss going 2-for-3 with a double while Salustri also notched two hits.
- The Amherst College softball team awaits an at-large bid for regionals that will be determined Monday.