WILLIAMSTOWN, MASS- The Amherst College softball team dropped their first game in the NESCAC double-elimination tournament Saturday morning to Tufts University, 5-3 after the game was suspended due to inclement weather on Friday evening at Williams College in Williamstown, Mass.
GAME HIGHLIGHTS – Tufts 5, Amherst 3
- The Purple & White started the game in the fifth with a one run lead after the game was halted Friday night due to inclement weather, but Amherst couldn't hold onto the lead after the bottom of the fifth inning.
- Tufts held Amherst scoreless at the start of the game and produced four runs on four hits, two walks, and used an Amherst error in the bottom of the inning to take the lead.
- Christian Cain led off the rally with a single before Maggie Hoffman laid down a sacrifice bunt to put Cain in scoring position. Carrie Copacino notched another single in the inning to move Cain over to third. Samantha Silicano ripped an RBI double to center field before Copacino drew a throw to third causing an error by the Purple & White that allowed her to score the go-ahead run.
- The next two batters drew walks to load the bases before Cassie Ruscz singled to plate two more Jumbos before the inning was retired.
- After a scoreless top of the sixth for Amherst, Tufts crossed the dish again in the bottom half of the inning.
- With the Purple & White's last at-bats, they were able to cut the deficit to two on a two-run homer by Nicolette Miranda '16 but left the bases loaded to end the contest.
- Lorena Ukanwa '19 was credited with the loss in the circle and moves to 8-4 on the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Miranda paced the Amherst offense going 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Sammy Salustri '19 finished the game 2-for-3 at the plate while Taylor Summers '19 stayed hot going 3-for-4.
- Lauren Tuiskula '17 pitched in with two hits in the game as Amherst out-hit the Jumbos, 14-6.