Amherst, Mass. – Amherst College's Julia Turner '19 cracked a walk-off single in the bottom of the eighth inning to lift the Purple & White to a thrilling, 2-1 victory over NESCAC West and Little III rival Wesleyan University Friday afternoon at the Amherst Softball Field.
Wesleyan (20-13, 4-6)
Amherst (22-8, 6-3)
- In Friday's contest, which featured a matchup of two stellar pitchers, and saw both sides register multiple scoreless innings, Amherst was first to score a run in the third while Wesleyan scored once in the fifth to tie the game at 1-1. Both teams remained scoreless through the sixth and seventh innings, extending the game to an eighth stanza. With two outs in the bottom of the eighth, Turner connected for a game-winning base hit with the bases loaded to lift the Purple & White to the victory.
- First-year Lorena Ukanwa started the game for the Purple & White allowed just three hits while striking out eight.
- In the bottom of the third, senior Taylor Summers led off the inning with a single and stole second to put herself in scoring position. Summers scored on a Cardinal error following a Turner hit for the first run of the game.
- Wesleyan answered in the top of the fifth when Amanda Roosa notched a leadoff single before Julie McDonald was hit by a pitch. Su Pardo followed with a single to load the bases. With two outs, Isabel Linze scored Roosa on an Amherst error to even the contest.
- After a scoreless sixth and seventh frame, the Purple & White jammed the bases thanks to a pair of singles and a walk issued to Summers setting the stage for Turner's heroics. Turner delivered a walk-off single to shortstop that scored senior Nicolette Miranda for the winning run.
- Jackie Buechler pitched the final three innings of the game and improved her record to 6-1.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Summers paced the Purple & White offense going 2-for-3 with a stolen base, a run scored, and drew a walk in the bottom of the eighth.
- Sara Buck '19 and classmate Kyra Naftel '19 each notched two hits in the game.
- The Amherst softball team travels to Wesleyan Saturday for NESCAC West doubleheader action with game one slated for 1 p.m.