Amherst, Mass. – The Amherst College softball team swept its non-conference doubleheader at Western New England University Wednesday afternoon with an eight inning 9-6 victory before posting a six inning 11-2 win.
Western New England University (22-16)
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 9, WNEU 6 (8 inn.)
- Amherst tallied three runs on two hits and one Golden Eagle error in the top of the first before Western New England answered back with a solo homerun from Corianna DeLisi to cut the deficit to two.
- Both teams scored another run in the fourth and the Purple & White added one more in the fifth off an Annie Apffel solo homerun, 5-2.
- The Golden Eagles were able to hold Amherst scoreless in the sixth and tally three runs to tie the game. Amherst scored one run in the top of the seventh but in the bottom half, McKenzie Pezze homered to right center to send the game into extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth, the Purple & White were able to score three runs and hold WNEU scoreless to hold onto the win.
- Kyra Naftel '19 tripled for the first hit of the game followed by a Sammy Salustri '19 RBI single. Alena Marovitz '17 and Nicolette Miranda both walked before Lauren Tuiskula '17 reached on an error by the second baseman to score Marovitz and Salustri.
- In the top of the third, Apffel walked in the inning and scored on a single by Annie Murphy '19 to take a three run lead.
- In the bottom half, Pezze tripled to right center to score Heather Fecteau who walked cutting the deficit back to two.
- Apffel's homerun was the lone run in the fifth for the Purple & White as they held WNEU scoreless in the fourth and fifth innings.
- With a scoreless sixth inning for Amherst, the Golden Eagles were able to plate three unearned runs to tie the game at five.
- Naftel notched her second triple of the game as a leadoff in the top of the seventh and Marovitz was able to score Naftel on a single to right field to take a one run lead. But in the bottom half of the inning, Pezze's homer to right center tied the game again sending the contest into extra innings.
- With bases loaded and two outs, Salustri was found her way to first on catcher's interference to plate the go ahead run. Marovitz doubled scoring two more insurance runs to clinch the win.
- Gina Pagan '18 earned improved her record to 6-3 with the win in the circle for the Purple & White pitching the final three innings of the game.
GAME TWO HIGHTLIGHTS: Amherst 11, WNEU 2 (6 inn.)
- The Purple & White scored six runs in the first two innings on five hits including a homerun and two doubles to jump out to a 6-0 lead.
- Amherst scored two more in the top of the fifth to make it 8-0 but Pezze and Katie Wood each homered in the bottom of the fifth to extend the game to six innings.
- Amherst tallied three more runs in the sixth to end the game due to the mercy rule.
- Naftel stayed hot at the plate leading off game two with a single while Salustri walked and Marovitz scored Naftel and Salustri on a bunt. Sara Buck '19 homered to centerfield for two more runs in the first inning.
- With two outs in the second, Naftel singled again followed by a Salustri double and a Marovitz two RBI double, 6-0.
- Bailey Plaman '18 doubled off the centerfield fence in the fifth before Miranda and classmate Taylor Summers both notched a single. Tuiskula scored Plaman on an error while Naftel scored Miranda on a sacrifice fly ball.
- Four singles in the sixth allowed Amherst to tally three runs and clinch the doubleheader sweep.
- Jackie Buechler '17 earned the win in the circle allowing two runs on three hits (6-1).
BY THE NUMBERS
- Apffel, Naftel, Marovitz, and Summers all had a multi-hit game one. Apffel was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a homerun while Naftel was 2-for-4 with two triples and three runs scored. Marovitz was 2-for-4 and added three RBI and run scored while Summers was 2-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base.
- In game two, Naftel, Salustri, Summers, and Miranda each notched two hits apiece in the win.
- Summers added two more stolen bases in game two and was a perfect 3-for-3 in attempts on the day.
- The Purple & White produced 25 hits in the doubleheader.
- The Amherst softball team returns to the field Friday for a NESCAC West contest against Wesleyan at 5 p.m.