Williamstown, Mass – The Amherst College softball team dropped its NESCAC West conference contest to Williams College Sunday afternoon at Cole Field, 6-3.
Amherst (19-8, 5-3)
Williams (25-8, 7-2)
GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 3, Williams 6
- Amherst took advantage of an early Ephs error in the top of the first inning to tally two runs and make it a 2-0 contest.
- The Purple & White held Williams scoreless in the bottom half of the inning and scored again in the second to take a 3-0 lead.
- Williams produced two runs in the second to cut the deficit to one and scored three more in the third to take a 5-2 lead before holding Amherst scoreless for the remainder of the contest.
- Mackenzie Murphy notched a solo homerun, her third of the weekend, in the bottom of the fifth for the Ephs for the final run of the game.
- Sammy Salustri '19 registered a double in the first inning for Amherst before Brianna Cook '16 singled and advanced to second and third on an error from the catcher to score Salustri. Alena Marovitz '17 drew a walk and was caught in a run-down on her way to second that allowed Cook to score the second run of the game.
- Julia Turner '19 drew a walk with two outs in the bottom of the second and stole a base to put herself in scoring position. Kyra Naftel '19 singled for Amherst allowing Turner to score on the play.
- With a 3-0 lead by Amherst, the Ephs were able to tally two runs in the bottom half of the inning and three more in the top of the third on three doubles, a single, an intentional walk, and a hit-by-pitch to take the lead.
- After Williams' Murphy notched a solo homerun in the bottom of the fifth, Amherst was able to load the bases in the top of the sixth.
- Marovitz led off with a double to right center as Annie Apffel '17 notched a single and Nicolette Miranda '16 drew a walk. With one out in the inning, the Ephs were able to hold onto the win not allowing the Purple & White to plate another run in the contest.
- Jackie Buechler '17 was credited with the loss in the circle (4-1).
BY THE NUMBERS
- Marovitz led the Amherst offense going 2-for-3 at the plate notching a double in the right center gap.
- Naftel, Salustri, Cook, and Apffel each produced a hit in the game.
- Lorena Ukanwa relieved Buechler for the final three innings of play striking out five.
- The Purple & White will travel to Western New England University Wednesday for a non-conference doubleheader with game one beginning at 3 p.m. and game two to follow right after.