Amherst, Mass. – The Amherst College softball team split its doubleheader with archrival Williams Saturday afternoon, earning a 7-6 win over the Ephs before falling in a 7-3 loss.
Williams (24-8, 5-2 NESCAC)
Amherst (19-6, 5-1 NESCAC)
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS: Williams 6, Amherst 7
- Amherst scored in the first and second innings while holding Williams scoreless, but the Ephs cut the deficit to one at the top of the third to make it a 3-2 contest. The Purple & White answered back with a run in the bottom half of the inning as Williams plated another and held Amherst scoreless in the fourth.
- The Ephs took their first and only lead of the game scoring two runs in the fifth (5-4) while Amherst answered back with three of their own to regain the lead.
- Williams plated another in the sixth and help the Purple & White scoreless in the bottom of the inning. The Ephs had two free bases on a hit-by-pitch and a base-on-balls on the seventh but couldn't score a run to tie the game.
- First-year Kyra Naftel led off the bottom of the first for Amherst with a triple to right center before Brianna Cook '16 singled up to middle scoring Naftel for the first run of the game.
- Sara Buck '19 singled in the second before classmate Annie Murphy '19 notched her third homerun of the season with a line drive to dead center (3-0).
- The Ephs answered back with a Mackenzie Murphy two-run homerun of their own after Lexi Curt notched a two-out double.
- In the bottom half, Annie Apffel '17 doubled before Murphy singled and advanced to second. Senior Nicolette Miranda reached on an error that scored Murphy before the inning was retired (4-3).
- Brenna Martinez singled for the Ephs but capitalized on an Amherst error allowing her to tag three bases before Amanda Siedem notched an RBI double to cut the deficit to one again.
- Williams was able to hold Amherst scoreless in the fourth and score two more runs in the fifth to take a 5-4 lead. The Ephs sparked a big fifth inning with a leadoff single by Curt followed by a Murphy double. Melissa Cendejas reached on a fielder's choice to load the bases. Curt scored on a wild pitch to tie the game at four while Brenna Martinez had a sacrifice fly on the go-ahead run.
- Murphy singled for the Purple & White before Miranda notched a deep double to left field off the fence. Naftel drew a walk to load the bases before Sammy Salustri '19 hit a single to left and advanced to second to clear the bases (7-5).
- In the sixth, Alison Michalik singled for the Ephs while Curt notched her second double of the game to score Michalik. Curt advanced to third on a wild pitch but couldn't plate a run to tie the game.
- Jackie Beuchler '17 earned another win in the circle, pitching a complete game to improve her record to 5-0.
GAME TWO HIGHTLIGHTS: Williams , Amherst
- After a scoreless first inning on both ends, Williams was first to plate with a solo homerun by Siedem in the second.
- Miranda led off the third inning with a single followed by walks by Julia Turner '19 and Naftel to load the bases. Salustri had a two RBI single to put Amherst ahead by one before Cook layed down a bunt to score Naftel.
- The score remained 3-1 in favor of Amherst for the next three innings as neither team could plate a run.
- In the top of the seventh, the Ephs scored six runs on four hits. Murphy had her second home run of the day in the top of the seventh to score the final run of the game.
- First-year Lorena Ukwana (8-1) was credited with the loss for the Purple & White.
BY THE NUMBERS
- In game one, Naftel led the Amherst offense going 3-for-3 with a triple, two runs scored, and drew a walk. Murphy also paced the offense going 3-for-4 with a homerun, two runs scored, and two RBI.
- Miranda was the lone player to have a multi-hit outing in game two, going 2-for-3 with a run.
- The Amherst softball team will travel to Williams tomorrow, April 24 to finish its three-game series. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.