AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College softball team run-ruled Bates College in game one of its non-conference twinbill Saturday afternoon with an 8-0 (5 innings) victory, before notching a 7-4 win in game two.
Bates (0-20, 0-6)
Amherst (17-5, 4-1)
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 8, Bates 0
- Junior Jackie Beuchler tossed a one-hitter, striking out seven of the 17 batters she faced. The Purple & White used five hits, including a three-run homer by Alena Marovitz '17 in the third inning to score eight runs. Amherst also drew seven walks and added one hit-by-pitch in the win.
- The Purple & White led off the game with two singles and a walk to load the bases. Marovitz had her first RBI of the game with a sacrifice fly to deep centerfield to score Julia Turner '19. Amherst would draw two more walks in the first inning to score another run and take a 2-0 lead after one inning of play.
- Nicolette Miranda '16 led off the bottom of the second with a walk and a stolen base to put herself into scoring position. Turner followed up with her second hit of the game before Brianna Cook '16 had a sacrifice fly RBI to score Miranda. With bases loaded, Sara Buck '19 was hit by the pitch for an RBI to give Amherst a 4-0 lead after two.
- A two-out walk by Turner and a Bobcat error on Sammy Salustri's hit scored another run for the Purple & White. Cook singled to put two Amherst players on base before Marovitz notched a three-run homerun to dead center give the Purple & White a commanding 8-0 lead.
- The Bobcats held Amherst scoreless in the bottom of the fourth but couldn't plate a run to extend the game.
- Beuchler had a stellar performance in the circle allowing no runs on one hit with no walks and seven strikouts to improve her record to 3-0 on the season.
GAME TWO HIGHTLIGHTS: Amherst 7, Bates 4
- Amherst had a total of three homeruns in game two, scoring five runs in a breakout second inning to take a 5-0 lead over Bates, before the Bobcats scored four runs late to pull within two after the top of the sixth. Junior Annie Apffel blasted her second homerun of the game in the bottom of the sixth for an extra insurance run to give the Purple and White the win.
- Amherst capitalized on three Bobcat errors in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead. Apffel led off the second inning with a single while Bailey Plaman '18 walked. Annie Murphy '19 tallied her second collegiate homerun for a three-run homer to left field and added another run to lead by five. Apffel extended the lead to six in the third with a leadoff solo homerun.
- Bates got on the board in the fourth with a solo shot to right center from Karen Lockhart and held Amherst scoreless the next two innings.
- In the top of the sixth, the Bobcats had three runs on three hits to cut the deficit to two but Apffel responded with her second homerun of the game off the scoreboard.
- First-year Lorena Ukwana had a season best 11 strikouts in six innings pitched to improve her record to 7-1 while Gina Pagan '18 struck out two of the final three batters of the game.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Beuchler, Ukanwa, and Pagan had a stellar performance in the circle striking out 20 batters in 12 innings.
- Turner was the only Amherst player to have a multi-hit first game going a perfect 2-for-2 with three runs scored.
- Apffel led the Purple & White offensively in game two going 3-for-4 with three runs scored, two RBI, and two solo homeruns.
- Murphy and Miranda both had a multi-hit game two going 2-for-3 with Murphy tallying three RBI.
- The Amherst softball team will travel to Keene State Wednesday, April 20 for a non-conference twinbill with the first game beginning at 3:30 p.m. followed b game two at 5:30 p.m.