CLAREMONT, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team topped off their final day in Florida with a 4-1 win against St. Scholastica College, while the second game of its scheduled doubleheader against Salve Regina University was cancelled due to inclement weather.
Amherst returns to the Pioneer Valley with an 8-3 overall record.
ST. SCHOLASTICA HIGHLIGHTS
- In what started out as a pitchers dual for the majority of the game, St. Scholastica was first on the board with its lone run in the top of sixth frame, but Amherst responded with four runs in the bottom half of the inning to lift the Purple & White to another victory.
- Lorena Ukanwa '19 pitched a complete game allowing just four hits and striking out six.
- Senior Brianna Cook and first-year Julia Turner helped pace the offense as both finished 2-for-3 in the game. Cook recorded an RBI and a score, while Turner added an RBI.
- Kyra Naftel '19 led the sixth-inning rally with a double before the Purple & White strung together three more hits in the inning and drew a walk to secure the win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst out-hit St. Scholastica, 8-4 in the win.
- Naftel was the only player to record a hit in every game to lead the Purple & White offense.
- Ukanwa begins her collegiate career with a team-best 28 strikeouts to lead the pitching staff.
- Amherst returns to action with its home-opening doubleheader against WPI Wednesday, March 30 beginning at 3:30 p.m.