CLAREMONT, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team dropped its doubleheader Friday morning as it lost to Endicott College, 9-5 before falling to The College of New Jersey, 7-6 in extra innings during Spring Break trip action in Claremont, Fla.
Amherst is now 7-3 overall with their final two spring break games set for tomorrow.
- Endicott broke open the first inning with five hits to gain a five run lead before tallying two more scores in the second and again in the sixth.
- Amherst plated its first run in the third and rallied in the sixth to earn four more runs, but came up short in the 9-5 loss.
- Alena Marovitz '17, Sammy Salustri '19, Sara Buck '19, Kyra Naftel '19 and Annie Murphy '19 helped pace the offense notching two hits apiece, while Marovitz and Murphy both plated a run for the Purple & White.
- Junior Annie Apffel blasted a two-run double in the sixth inning rally and also plated a run in the loss.
- Gina Pagan '18 started in the circle for Amherst before senior Nicolette Miranda pitched the remaining five innings.
THE COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY HIGHLIGHTS
- TCNJ was first on the board but the Purple & White responded with five runs in the third to take a 5-1 lead.
- The Blue & Gold tied the game in the top of the seventh to send the game into extra innings.
- TCNJ scored twice in the eighth while Amherst could only plate one run in the bottom half.
- Senior Brianna Cook and first-year Julia Turner each went 2-for-4 while Turner recorded two RBI and Cook a score.
- Naftel also notched two hits going 2-for-5 in game two.
- Lorena Ukanwa '19 threw all eight innings for Amherst striking out four and walking just one batter.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Amherst out-hit Endicott 12-11 in game one.
- Ukanwa leads the pitching staff in strikeouts with 22.
- Naftel improved her multi-hit streak to eight games totaling at least two hits per game and at least one in all 10 games thus far.
- The Amherst softball team wraps up their spring break trip tomorrow taking on St. Scholastica at 9 a.m. and Salve Regina at 11 a.m.