CLAREMONT, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team used stellar pitching in both games to sweep its doubleheader Wednesday afternoon, defeating Agnes Scott 5-2, and Fairleigh Dickinson 5-1 in Claremont, Fla. during its Spring Break trip.
With the two wins, Amherst improves to 7-1 overall on the season.
AGNES SCOTT HIGHLIGHTS
- Agnes Scott scored twice in the bottom of the fifth but the Purple & White answered back to tie the game in the top of the sixth inning. Amherst then struck for three runs in the top of the seventh to help secure the win.
- Junior Lauren Tuiskula had a stellar game striking out 10 batters to gain her first win of the season in the circle. She helped her cause going 2-for-4 at the plate with a run scored.
- Kyra Naftel '19 scored the winning run with a lead-off triple in the top of the seventh. She also went 2-for-4 at the plate improving her multi-hit streak to six games.
- Annie Apffel '17 , Alena Marovitz '17, Annie Murphy '19, Sammy Salustri '19, and Julia Turner '19 all notched a hit for Amherst.
FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst scored in the first inning to take the lead and scored what proved to be the winning run in the third for the win.
- Naftel was a spark in the offense yet again going 2-for-4 with two runs tallied and an RBI.
- First-year Sara Buck also had a hot bat going 2-for-3 with a pair of runs and an RBI.
- Murphy added a triple for the Purple & White and plated a run.
- Lorena Ukanwa '19 earned her second win allowing just four hits with nine strikeouts.
BY THE NUMBERS
- A combined effort from the pitching staff had a season-best 19 strikeouts on the day.
- Naftel is on a six game multi-hit streak registering at least two hits per game to start her collegiate career.
- Amherst returns to action against Endicott and TCNJ Friday, March 18 at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.