WINTER GARDEN, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team cruised to a 15-3 victory over Framingham State University, before suffering its first setback of the 2016 season - 4-0 to SUNY Geneseo - in Tuesday's twinbill at the Foundation Academy in Winter Garden, Fla.
With the split, Amherst now stands at 5-1 overall after day three of its Spring Break trip in Florida.
FRAMINGHAM STATE HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst had two breakout innings with six runs scored in the third, and seven runs in the fourth, before run-ruling Framingham in 4.5 innings.
- Junior Alena Marovitz stayed hot for the Purple & White going 3-for-3 from the plate to pace the offense with a pair of doubles, two RBI, and two runs scored.
- Lauren Tuiskula '17 also was perfect for Amherst going 2-for-2 with two runs driven in and three runs scored.
- Kyra Naftel '19 went 2-for-4 at the dish with two RBI and scored a run.
- First-year Lorena Ukanwa earned the win in the circle for Amherst.
SUNY GENESEO HIGHLIGHTS
- Amherst left two runners in scoring position in the first inning before the Knights scored twice in the home half of the first frame to help propel SUNY Geneseo to victory.
- Naftel was Amherst's lone player with multiple hits going 2-for-3 with two singles.
- Sammy Salustri '19 and Sara Buck '19 both added a hit, while Annie Murphy '19 cracked a double. Ashleigh Rutherford '16 legged out a triple to round out the Purple & White's efforts at the plate.
- Gina Pagan '18 suffered the loss in the circle for Amherst.
By the Numbers
- Every batter scored at least once against Framingham State, while four scored two or more times.
- Naftel improved her multi-hit streak to four games, and has hit safely at least twice in each contest.
- Amherst takes on Agnes Scott at 1 p.m. then Fairleigh Dickinson at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, March 16.