WINTER GARDEN, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team earned a 5-2 win over Becker College, and posted a come-from-behind, 5-3 victory over the University of New England in Sunday's doubleheader at the Foundation Academy in Winter Garden, Fla.
With the win, Amherst begins its 2016 campaign 4-0 after two days of action.
- Kyra Naftel '19 was 2-for-4 with a triple and two runs scored.
- The Purple & White led Becker 2-1 before Alena Marovitz '17 found the other side of the fence in the top of the sixth to give Amherst a 3-1 lead.
- Senior Brianna Cook stayed hot at the plate adding two hits and an RBI.
- Gina Pagan '18 earned the win in the circle pitching the final four innings.
- Naftel went a perfect 4-for-4 in game two with two runs scored in addition to driving in two runners.
- Marovitz was also perfect at the plate in game two with a triple, two doubles, and two RBI, while also scoring a run of her own.
- Lauren Tuiskula '17 also tallied two RBI for the Purple & White and went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Nicolette Miranda '16 earned the save allowing three hits on zero earned runs while fanning four batters.
By the Numbers
- Amherst had a combined 13 hits against the Nor'Easters, four of which were extra-base hits.
- Marovitz had her sixth career home run against the Hawks.
- Naftel notched two hits in three of the four games to start her collegiate career.
- The Amherst College softball team will be back in action Tuesday, March 15 to take on Framingham State University in game one at 9 a.m., followed by SUNY Geneseo in game two at 11 a.m.