WINTER GARDEN, Fla. – The Amherst College softball team busted open the 2016 season with a 7-1 win over Babson College, and held on for a 5-3 victory over New England College in Saturday's season-opening doubleheader in Winter Garden, Fla.
- Senior Brianna Cook led Amherst at the plate going 3-for-3 with 3 RBI while adding a run and a walk.
- First year's Kyra Naftel and Julia Turner had great starts to their collegiate careers as both finished 2-for-4 at the dish. Naftel scored a run, while Turner drove in a pair of runners in the winning effort.
- Lorena Ukanwa earned the win in the circle for the Purple & White allowing six hits with four strikeouts, and zero earned runs.
NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE HIGHLIGHTS
- Lauren Tuiskula '17 paced Amherst in the second game going 2-for-3 at the plate while adding a score.
- Naftel and Annie Murphy '19 both added a triple and scored a run.
- Sophomore Gina Pagan pitched a two-hitter, highlighted by five strikouts and zero earned runs to help seal the 5-3 win.
By the Numbers
- Five different players scored for the Purple & White in game two.
- Amherst had a combined 18 hits on the day.
- The Purple & White return to the field tomorrow to take on Becker College at 9 a.m. and the University of New England at 11 a.m.