BRUNSWICK, Maine – Placing all seven harriers inside the top-50 and registering a team 8K mark of 25:37, the Amherst College men's cross country team earned an fourth place finish at the 54-team 2019 New England Championships hosted by Bowdoin College at Pickard Fields.
The Mammoths will now await a potential at-large bid to the NCAA Championships taking place at E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park in Louisville, Ky. next Saturday, November 23, with the selection committee to announce their 16 at-large team selections on Sunday.
- TEAM RESULT: 4th Overall (137 points)
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Williams (24 points), Colby (93 points), MIT (107 points)
- TOP-INDIVIDUAL: Aidan Ryan (Williams / 24:51.6)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 (11th / 25:10.6)
- TOTAL RUNNERS: 384
MAMMOTH SCORING RUNNERS
- Securing his best Regionals' performance in three appearances, Ferguson-Dryden cut more than a minute off his previous best regional qualifier mark – a time of 26:16.6 that earned him 39th in 2017 – to stop the clock in 25:10.6 and place 11th overall. Finishing inside the top-35, Ferguson-Dryden becomes a 2019 All-Region selection.
- His first-ever trip to the Regionals, Bill Massey '21 continued to impress in a breakout junior campaign, with Massey finishing just one second off his PR to log a 25:30.6 mark. His 21st place finish garnered him All-Region honors
- The third and final Mammoth to earn All-Region distinction, Braxton Schuldt '21 also stood up to the pressure of his first Regional appearance, clinching 24th overall behind a time of 25:33.7.
- The seventh first-year to cross the finish line at the 384-harrier race, Keon Mazdisnian '23 just finished outside the All-Region cut as he registered a 25:55.3 mark to take 39th place in a solid outing.
- Rounding out the six Mammoths competing at their first regional competition, Jamie Mazzola '21 earned 42nd overall – finishing the 8-kilometer race in 25:58.8.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET