BRUNSWICK, Maine – Placing all five scoring runners inside of the top-20, the No. 9 Amherst College men's cross country team recorded a scoring order of 4-12-15-16-18(78)(84) to take the top prize at the 44-team New England Division III Championships hosted by Bowdoin College Saturday afternoon.
The Mammoths' fourth first place finish of the year, Amherst earned an NCAA Championship automatic qualifying bid as one of the region's top-two teams and will travel to Winneconne, Wis. to compete in the national meet for the ninth time in program history (5th year in a row) next Saturday, Nov. 17.
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Amherst (65 points), Williams (86 points), Middlebury (142 points)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Ricciardelli '20 (25:00.13 / 4th)
- TOTAL TEAMS / RUNNERS: 44 / 391
MAMMOTHS SCORING RUNNERS
- Pacing the Mammoths for the third time this season, Clark Ricciardelli '20 posted a time of 25:00.13 – his best mark of the fall – to place fourth overall at the 391-harrier regional meet.
- Cosmo Brossy '19 was next across the finish line for Amherst, with the senior clocking a 25:22.75 mark to earn 12th overall.
- Finishing back-to-back, Tucker Meijer '19 and Estevan Velez '20 earned 15th and 16th place, respectively, with Meijer notching a time of 25:31.67 and Velez registering a 25:36.51 mark.
- Ajay Sarathy '21 rounded out Amherst's scoring runners, logging a time of 25:39.51 to earn 18th overall and the Mammoths fifth top-20 finish.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET
- Clark Ricciardelli '20 / 25:00.13 / 4th
- Cosmo Brossy '19 / 25:22.75 / 12th
- Tucker Meijer '19 / 25:31.67 / 15th
- Estevan Velez '20 / 25:36.51 / 16th
- Ajay Sarathy '21 / 25:39.51 / 18th
- Kristian Sogaard '19 / 26:41.13 / 78th
- Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 / 26:46.45 / 84th
Photo credit: Brian Beard/Bowdoin Athletics