BOSTON, Mass. – Heavy rain and high winds were no match for the eighth-ranked Amherst College men's cross country team, as the Mammoths placed three runners inside the top-10 to successfully defend their league crown and claim their second consecutive NESCAC Championship title Saturday morning at Franklin Park.
With a scoring order of 3-6-10-16-25(33)(36) and a team average 8K time of 25:58, the Mammoths impressive season continued as Amherst edged out five nationally ranked teams – No. 11 Williams, No. 14 Middlebury, No. 21 Tufts, No. 27 Bowdoin and No. 33 Connecticut College – to capture the program's second-ever NESCAC title and third first place team finish of the fall.
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Amherst (60 points), Williams (86 points), Middlebury (88 points)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Brossy (25:29.3 / 3rd)
- TOTAL TEAMS / RUNNERS: 11 / 154
MAMMOTHS SCORING RUNNERS
- Senior Cosmo Brossy posted the best finish at the league meet of his collegiate career to pace the Mammoths, clocking an average mile time of 5:07.6 to finish in 25:29.3 and earn third overall.
- Recording a 5:11.5 average mile, Clark Ricciardelli '20 was next across the finish line for Amherst, logging a 25:48.3 mark to secure sixth place.
- The third Mammoth harrier inside the top-10, Tucker Meijer '19 notched a time of 26:00.8 behind an 5:14.0 average mile to take 10th overall.
- Registering a 16th place finish, Ajay Sarathy '21 ran a 5:16.2 mile to cross the finish line in 26:11.8.
- Bill Massey '21 was the final Amherst scoring runner, earning a 25th place finish with a time of 26:23.1.
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET
- Cosmo Brossy '19 / 25:29.3 / 3rd
- Clark Ricciardelli '20 / 25:48.3 / 6th
- Tucker Meijer '19 / 26:00.8 / 10th
- Ajay Sarathy '21 / 26:11.8 / 16th
- Bill Massey '21 / 26:23.1 / 25th
- Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 / 26:37.9 / 33rd
- Kristian Sogaard '19 / 26:44.1 / 36th
- Jamie Mazzola '21 / 26:57.7 / 54th
- Estevan Velez '20 / 27:06.5 / 63rd
- Ralph Skinner '20 / 27:27.8/ 86th
- Jack Malague '19 / 27:45.0 / 99th
- Braxton Schuldt '21 / 27:47.6 / 101st
- Chris Stone '20 / 27:59.6 / 107th
- Will Merhige '22 / 28:07.1 / 113th
- Matthew Bradley '22 / 28:11.6 / 116th
The Mammoths return to action on Saturday, Nov. 10 when they travel to Bowdoin College to compete in the New England Division III Championships beginning at 12:30 p.m.