BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Traveling to Lehigh University for the 45th annual Paul Short Run, presented by ASICS, at the Goodman Campus Cross Country Course, the No. 11 Amherst College men's cross country team notched a 22nd place finish in the top-tier Gold race that featured 34 Division I programs and seven squads from Division III.
The Mammoths were joined by fellow DIII institutions No. 3 Haverford, No. 7 Middlebury, No. 9 Johns Hopkins, No. 13 Carnegie Mellon, No. 28 Christopher Newport and No. 29 Tufts in the highly competitive Gold race.
With 594 points, Amherst finished with a scoring order of 41-50-106-194-203(204)(241) and an average 8K time of 25:47. The team title winner, Utah State, led the pack with an average 8K mark of 24:46.
The largest intercollegiate cross country meet in the nation with approximately 6,000 athletes from nearly 450 colleges and high schools, the Paul Short Run is comprised of six college races (Gold, Brown, White) that highlight a deep and talented field from across the nation and from all three NCAA divisions.
The Mammoths return to action in two weeks' time when they compete in the Connecticut College Invitational at Harkness Memorial Park on Saturday, Oct. 13 beginning at 12 p.m.
- TEAM TOP-THREE: Utah State (77 points), Virginia Tech (80 points), Army West Point (136 points)
- TOP-MAMMOTH: Cosmo Brossy '19 (25:12 / 41st)
- TOTAL TEAMS/RUNNERS: 41/360
MAMMOTH SCORING RUNNERS
- Registering a pace of 5:05 per mile, Cosmo Brossy '19 was just 12 seconds off his collegiate best 8K mark as he crossed the finish line in 25:12 to lead the Mammoths and finish 41st overall.
- Wrapping up the race three seconds later, Clark Ricciardelli '20 clocked a 25:15 mark to earn 50th overall.
- Running a 5:11 mile, Tucker Meijer '19 recorded a time of 25:42 to clinch 112th, while Braxton Schudlt '21 placed 208th overall behind a 26:18 mark.
- Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 was the last Mammoth scoring runner, securing a 222nd place finish (26:24).
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET - GOLD RACE
- Cosmo Brossy '19 / 25:12 / 41st
- Clark Ricciardelli '20 / 25:15 / 50th
- Tucker Meijer '19 / 25:42 / 112th
- Braxton Schudlt '21 / 26:18 / 208th
- Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 / 26:24 / 222nd
- Estevan Velez '20 / 26:24 / 223rd
- Matthew Bradley '22 / 26:56 / 284th
- Kristian Sogaard '19 / 26:57 / 286th
- Ajay Sarathy '21 / 26:58 / 287th
- Jamie Mazzola '21 / 28:21 / 354th
AMHERST IN THE SCORESHEET - OPEN RACE (437 TOTAL RUNNERS)
- Bill Massey '21 / 26:40 / 78th
- Jack Malague '19 / 27:07 / 116th
- Majd Rouhana '22 / 27:15 / 126th
- Chris Stone '20 / 27:28 / 148th
- Ralph Skinner '20 / 27:46 / 176th
- Will Merhige '22 / 27:49 / 178th
- Jacob Silverman '19 / 28:26 / 234th
- Owen Daily '22 / 28:32 / 246th
- Lev Robertson '22 / 29:50 / 313th
- Ermias Kebede '19 / 32:00 / 380th