MEDFORD, Mass. – Junior Nehemiah McGowan set a new program record in the 60m dash to highlight the weekend for the Mammoths, as the Amherst College men's track & field team impressed at the non-team scoring Cupid Challenge hosted by Tufts University and Blue & Orange Invitational at Utica College Saturday and Sunday.
- Previous 60m dash record holder Henry Buren '22 and McGowan both posted sub-seven second times in the finals to take first and second, but it was McGowan to pushed the program benchmark in the event to a new low for the fifth time this winter – clocking a time of 6.92 seconds in the semifinals to break his own school record that was set in the prelims hours earlier (6.96).
- Besting his collegiate debut mark in the 600m, Wilson Spurrell '23 crossed the finish line in 1:24.00 to take fourth place.
- Ryan Prenosil '21 earned first overall in the 800m with a New England Regionals qualifying mark, while Braedon Fiume '23 also earned his spot in the regional meet with a collegiate best mark in the 1000m (2:36.53).
- Three Mammoths logged New England qualifying marks in the mile, with Spencer Ferguson-Dryden's '20 PR of 4:16.03 clinching a third place finish. Billy Massey '21 took fifth in the race (4:20.81), while Owen Daily '22 placed seventh (4:24.13).
- Ajay Sarathy '21 and Braxton Schuldt '21 will be appearing in the regional meet at the end of the month in the 5000m, with the duo each notching top-five finishes and Sarathy setting a new collegiate best (15:03.59).
- Sophomore Troy Colleran set three new collegiate bests while fine tuning his skills in the heptathlon as he earned a 2.00m mark in the high jump, 7.08m mark in the long jump and a 11.34m mark in the shot put. His performance in the long jump was just 3.25 inches off the program benchmark, so keep an eye on Colleran in the coming weeks as he looks to set his second school record this winter after taking over the top spot in the heptathlon two weeks ago.
- A 10.65m heave in the weight throw set a new PR for Jack Renda '23 by nearly a meter, while Jack Trent '23 posted new collegiate bests in the shot put (11.23m) and the 60m hurdles (8.98).
UTICA BLUE & ORANGE MULTI
- Competing in the heptathlon in New York, Jack Dufton '20 was just three points off his PR to take 6th overall as he notched two top-five finishes and landed inside the top-eight in six events.
- Max Spelke '23 upped his point total by more than 100 in his second collegiate heptathlon, registering top-10 finishes in all seven events. His best finish came in the 1000m run, with the first-year taking second place.
The Mammoths return to action next weekend, Feb. 14-15, when they split the squad to compete at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational hosted by Boston University and the Gordon Kelly Invitational at MIT.