NEW LONDON, Conn. – Closing out the Silfen Invitational hosted by Connecticut College in less than ideal weather conditions, the Amherst College men's track & field team earned 48 points to place 10th overall at the 22-team meet.
The Mammoths return to action next Saturday, April 20 when they travel to Tufts University for the Sunshine Classic beginning at 9 a.m.
- Putting on a show in the 1500m race, first-year Lev Robertson did the majority of the work for the field by putting himself out front early and showing that the weather wouldn't decide his fate as he crossed the finish line in 4:10.64.
- Dropping down in distance to the 400m dash, both Stanley Dunwell '20 and Brad Besson '20 ran smart splits in their races, which rewarded Dunwell with a season best mark (50.93) and Besson with a new personal best (51.62). Both cracked into the top-10 with Dunwell's time scoring 6th place overall.
- Another 6th place finish came from Alex Mangiafico '20 who hurdled his way to a new 400H season best mark of 58.86 seconds.
- Sticking with the hurdle events, junior Yonas Shiferaw sprinted his way to a season best in the 110H with a time of 16.43 seconds.
- In the final race of the day, the 5k, first-year Spencer Davis put in surge after surge as he clicked off one lap after another to cross the finish line in 15:21.01, a massive personal best.
- Also setting a personal best in the 5k was sophomore Chris Stone, who came away with a time of 15:38.31. Additionally, Ajay Sarathy closed shortly behind with a time of 15:48.60.
- Competing in the triple jump, Shiferaw posted a new season best not long after competing in the 110-hurdle race.
- Senior Sam Amaka took home fifth place in the hammer throw with a third attempt toss of 46.28. Right behind Amaka in seventh place was fellow senior Elorm Yevudza, who on his first attempted launched a 45.12m mark.
- In the shot put Amaka threw six successful marks, with his last toss of 12.81m earning him sixth overall.