MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Amherst College men's track & field team opened the 2019 season at the Little III Championships Saturday, capturing seven event victories en route to earning 124 points and a second place finish.
The Mammoths return to action on Saturday, Jan. 19 when they travel to nearby Smith College for the Smith Invitational beginning at 10 a.m.
- LOCATION: Bacon Field House, Wesleyan University
- RESULTS: Williams (135 points), Amherst (124 points) Wesleyan (100 points)
- First-years Arinzeolisa Uddoh and Trevor Hall kicked off their collegiate careers with third and fifth place finishes in the 60m sprint, respectively, with Uddoh posting a time of 7.26 seconds and Hall logging a 7.32 mark.
- Mayowa Tinubu '20 bested the competition in the 200-meter race, crossing the finish line in 23.51 seconds to secure gold and add seven points to the score sheet.
- Recording Amherst's second win of the day, Ryan Prenosil '21 claimed the top-spot in the 400-meter finals with a time of 50.73 seconds. Stanley Dunwell '20, Kyland Smith '21 and Brad Besson '20 also impressed in the event, taking fourth (53.03), fifth (53.19) and sixth (53.31), respectively.
- In the 600-meter run, Andrew Swenson '21 and Robert Innes-Gold '22 finished back-to-back, with Swenson placing third with a 1:26.51 mark and Innes-Gold earning fourth with a time of 1:28.98.
- Lev Robertson '21 paced the Mammoths in the 800-meter event, clinching fourth overall (2:08.20).
- Continuing his winning ways from last season, senior Kristian Sogaard edged out the competition in the 1000 meter run to capture first overall with a 2:30.81 mark.
- Racing in the mile, Spencer Ferguson-Dryden '20 placed second with a 4:22.79 mark, while Jamie Mazzola '21 posted a time of 4:29.84 to earn fourth.
- Braxton Schuldt '21 led Amherst in the 3000m, registering a second place finish (8:56.14).
- Maxim Doiron '19 added another Mammoth win in the 60m hurdles, logging an 8.73 second mark to take first overall. Troy Colleran '22 finished third in the event (9.47), while Jack Dufton '20 took fourth (9.74).
- Impressing in the high jump in his collegiate debut, Colleran placed second overall with a height of 1.93m, while Dufton placed fifth (1.78m).
- Making a statement in the long jump, the Mammoths captured the top-two spots as Jordan Edwards '20 placed first with a distance of 6.41m and Colleran earned second with a jump of 6.34m. Theo Bates '20 secured fifth in the event with a 6.23m mark.
- His second win of the meet, Edwards continued to show off his athletic ability in the triple jump, claiming the top spot with a distance of 13.15m.
- Elorm Yevudza '19 recorded Amherst's seventh and final event victory of the Little III Championships in the weight throw, tossing the weight a distance of 14.16m to earn gold.