MEDFORD, Mass. – Competing in the 3rd annual Sunshine Classic hosted by Tufts University at the Clarence "Ding" Dussault Track & Field Complex, the Amherst College men's track & field team racked up 102 points to place third overall at the six-team meet.
Amherst returns to action on Saturday, April 28 when they compete in the 2018 NESCAC Championships at Trinity College beginning at 9 a.m.
- Biafra Okoronkwo '20 paced the Mammoths in the 100 meter dash, clocking a time of 11.70 in the finals to earn third overall.
- In the 200 meter dash, Mayowa Tinubu '20 finished sixth, notching a 23.47 second mark, while David Ingraham and Kyland Smith '21 finished back-to-back in the 400 meter dash to place third (51.26) and fourth (51.47), respectively.
- Logging a time of 2:01.33, Ermias Kebede '19 took fourth in the 800 meter run.
- Billy Massey '21 and Jack Malague '19 impressed in the 1500 meter run, with Massey earning silver with a time of 4:03.39 and Malague clinching the bronze with a 4:06.03 mark.
- Leading Amherst in the 110 meter hurdles, Maxim Doiron '19 posted a 15.73 mark in the finals to place fourth, while Yonas Shiferaw '20 secured fifth (15.86 seconds).
- With a 59.57 second mark, Alex Mangiafico '20 placed third overall in the 400 meter hurdles.
- The 4x400 meter relay combo of Stanley Dunwell '20, Ryan Prenosil '21, Harrison Haigood '18 and Vernon Espinoza '19 took the top spot behind a time of 3:20.46.
- Junior Sam Amaka placed eighth in the shot put with a throw of 11.92 meters and second in the hammer throw (45.05 meters).
- Cornell Brooks '19 secured fifth in the discus throw with a distance of 36.90 meters, while Amaka finished seventh overall (34.33 meters).
- Also impressing in the hammer throw, Elorm Yevudza '19 took third with a toss of 41.71 meters.