NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – It was a short trip to Smith College for the Amherst College men's track and field team, and the Mammoths represented themselves well by placing 2nd in the four-school field.
Amherst amassed 103 points, trailing only American International (166), while solidly defeating Wesleyan University (86) and Emmanuel College (54).
- Jacob Silverman '19 won the 800 meter run in a time of 1:58.10, a top 20 performance in the country.
- In this first ever race, Braxton Schuldt '21 won the 3K, finishing in 9:01.87. Just behind him was teammate Justin Barry '18, who took second place in 9:09.38.
- Ryan Prenosil '21 took third place in the 400 meters, and Alex Mangiafico '19, Teddy Lane '21 and Brad Besson '21 went 5-6-7 in that event.
- Mayowa Tinubu '20 placed third in the 60-meter dash in a time of 7.25.
- Theo Bates '20 finished second in the 60-meter hurdles, completing the race in 8.47.
- Sam Amaka '19 took first overall in the weight throw, heaving a distance of 14.95 meters in the final, more than two meters ahead of the second place finisher. That performance was good enough to qualify Amaka for the Division 3 Indoor championships.
- Amaka also won the shotput with a 12.93 meter throw.
The Mammoths head to Tufts University for their next two meets, with the Branwen Smith-King Invitational on January 27th and the Tufts Invitational on February 3rd.