MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Amherst College men's track and field team opened the 2018 season at the Little III Championships, hosted by Wesleyan University, and took 2nd place behind Williams College with 124 points.
- The Mammoths went 1-2 in the 800 meters, with Vernon Espinoza '19 taking the top spot (2:05.39) and Ryan Prenosil '21 turning in a second place showing (2:05.43).
- In the 60-meter dash, Amherst placed 2nd (Elijah Nbokoli '20 – 7.18) and 4th (Mayowa Tinubu '20 – 7.26).
- Stanley Dunwell '20 took 2nd place in the 200 meter dash (23.27).
- Harrison Haigood '18 took second in the 400 meter dash (51.32).
- Andrew Swenson '21 started his collegiate career with a 2nd place finish in the 600 meters (1:25.71).
- Cosmo Brossy '19 won the mile run and came in second in the 1,000 meters.
- Clark Ricciardelli '20 took second in the mile (4:24.22) and in the 3K (8:45.11).
- The Amherst team of Prenosil, Stanley Dunwell '20, David Ingraham '18 and Kyland Smith '21 took first in the 4x400 relay.
- Jordan Edwards '20 won the triple jump for Amherst with a distance of 13.76 meters. Edwards claimed a fourth place finish in the long jump, while Theo Bates '20 scored a third place finish by jumping 6.25 meters.
- Sam Amaka '19 took fourth overall in the weight throw, clocking in at 13.24 meters in the finals. Cornell Brooks '19 earned a point for the Mammoths with a 10th place finish.
- In the shot put, Amaka finished sixth overall with an 11.98 effort highlighting his finals round.
- Bates took fourth in the 60-meter hurdles, just behind teammate Yonas Shiferaw '20 (8.94).
Amherst heads to Smith College next Saturday to compete at the Smith Invitational, beginning at 10:30 AM.