Claremont, Calif. -- The No. 9 Amherst College men's tennis team continued to roll in its Spring Break trip out west, downing No. 12 Carnegie Mellon, 7-2 Monday afternoon at the Carnegie Mellon Tennis Center.
With the win, Amherst improves to 2-0 on the season, while the Tartans falls to 8-4 on the year. Amherst returns to action tomorrow, Tuesday, Match 13 when they battle Whitman.
The Mammoth opened competition with a sweep in doubles play to jump out to a 3-0 lead. Winning all three courts by scores of 8-5, Sean Wei '21 and Nathan Kaplan '20 powered past Daniel Levine and Chaz Downing in the No. 1 spot, while Jayson Fung '20 and Ethan Hillis '21 and Kevin Ma '21 and Zach Bessette '19 earned wins on the second and third courts, respectively.
In singles action, Amherst picked up four more wins to claim the 7-2 match victory, with Hillis edging Ray Boppana, 6-2, 6-2 on the third court and Kaplan clinching a 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 4 spot. Ma and Fung captured the final two wins for the Mammoths, with Ma posting back-to-back 6-4 set victories in the fifth position and Fung beating Tommy Cheng, 6-2, 6-1 on the sixth court.
#9 Amherst 7, #12 Carnegie Mellon University 2
Mar 12, 2018 at Claremont, Calif.
1. #2 Daniel Levine (CMUM) def. #22 Sean Wei (AMH) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. Chaz Downing (CMUM) def. Zach Bessette (AMH) 7-6 (11-9), 6-0
3. Ethan Hillis (AMH) def. #20 Ray Boppana (CMUM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nathan Kaplan (AMH) def. Kailas Shekar (CMUM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Kevin Ma (AMH) def. Robert Levin (CMUM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Jayson Fung (AMH) def. Tommy Cheng (CMUM) 6-2, 6-1
1. Sean Wei/Nathan Kaplan (AMH) def. #15 Daniel Levine/Chaz Downing (CMUM) 8-5
2. Jayson Fung/Ethan Hillis (AMH) def. Jeffrey Chen/Tommy Cheng (CMUM) 8-5
3. Kevin Ma/Zach Bessette (AMH) def. Nicholas Calzolano/Ben Ash (CMUM) 8-5
Carnegie Mellon University 8-4; National ranking #12
Amherst 2-0; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,2,1,5,4)