LEWISTON, Maine – The Amherst College men's tennis team closed out their fall slate in impressive fashion at the Wallach Invitational hosted by Bates College, with Sean Wei '21 winning the Singles "A" bracket and Kevin Ma '21 clinching the crown in the Singles "C" pod to direct the Mammoths to championship titles in two out of the six invite brackets.
- Sean Wei '21 (A Singles, No. 1 Seed)
- The top seed in the singles "A" division, Wei secured four consecutive victories to earn the singles title.
- Facing off against Javier Esteban of Wheaton in the opening round, Wei posted back-to-back scores of 6-2 to advance to play Tufts' Zain Ali.
- Wei battled past Ali, 6-1, 7-6 (4) to move into the final four before powering past Jackson Kogan of Brandeis, 6-4, 6-0 to claim a spot in the finals.
- Paired against Kyle Wolfe of Bowdoin, Wei remained perfect on the weekend with a 6-3, 6-1 win to secure the individual title.
- Zach Bessette '19 (A Singles, No. 4 Seed)
- In first round action, Bessette defeated Scott Altmeyer of Colby, 6-2, 6-4 before falling to Tufts' Rohan Gupte in a thriller, 7-6 (6), 7-5.
- Nathan Kaplan '20 (No. 3 Seed)
- Kaplan notched a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Vid Yadav (Bates) to advance past the opening round but was edged by David Aizenberg (Brandeis) in a tough, three-set matchup, 6-7(11), 6-4, 10-2 in second round action.
- Ethan Hillis '21 (No. 2 Seed)
- Boris Sorkin of Tufts edged Hillis in the first round, earning a 6-4, 6-2 win.
- Jayson Fung '20
- The singles "C" division featured an all Amherst finals, with Fung clinching three victories to advance to the finals against Ma.
- Fung rattled off two victories on day one action, defeating Armaan Kalra of Tutfs, 6-3, 6-2 before battling past Justin Patel of Bowdoin, 7-6,5-7,16-14.
- Logging a 6-2, 6-1 win against Josh Leiner of Bates in the final four moved Fung into the finals, however the sophomore fell against teammate Ma, 6-3, 6-0.
- Ma went undefeated in singles play, edging Louis Gonzalez of Colby, 6-1, 6-1 and Rajan Vohra of Brandeis, 6-2, 6-2 to open the invite.
- Paired against Bowdoin's Justin Wang, Ma clinched a 6-2,7-5 win before defeating fellow Mammoth Fung, 6-3, 6-0 to earn the singles "C" title.
- Oliver Kendall '19
- Battling Jonathan Hallal of Colby in first round action, Kendall suffered a 6-4,6-2 loss.
- Bessette / Kaplan
- Duo Bessette and Kaplan advanced to the doubles "A" finals with three straight wins, edging Kogan and Goldberg of Brandeis, 8-4 and Glickman and Boyle of Trinity, 8-2 to move into the final four.
- Facing off against top-seeded Urken and Tercek of Bowdoin, the pair earned an impressive 8-6 victory before ultimately falling to Brandeis' Coramutla and Aizenberg, 8-6.
- Fung / Wei
- Earning a first round matchup against Rosen and Quijano of Bates, Fung and Wei were edged 9-7 in a nail-biter.
- Hillis / Ma
- Greenwood and Berghuis of Bates downed Hillis and Ma in first round action in the doubles "B" bracket, claiming a 9-8(4) win.