CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Taking to the courts for the second time this season, the Amherst College men's tennis team sent three doubles pairs and seven individuals to compete in the MIT Invitational hosted by MIT at the duPont Tennis Courts and J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble.
The Mammoths return to action on Saturday, Oct. 21, when they close out their fall slate with the two-day Wallach Invite at Bates College.
- Kevin Ma '21 (No. 11 Seed)
- Tagged as the 11th-seed, Ma earned two victories on day one to advance to the round of 16. Paired against Tufts' Benjamin Battle in his first matchup of the Invite, Ma registered a 6-1, 6-3 win before powering past Anupreeth Coramutla of Brandeis, 6-2, 6-4.
- Taking to the court against top-seeded Steven Chen of Wesleyan, Ma was edged, 6-1, 6-2.
- Nathan Kaplan '20
- Kaplan claimed a spot in third round action after opening the Invite with wins over Alex Vanezis (Middlebury) and Joachim Samson (Wesleyan) as he downed Vanezis 6-3, 6-3 and Samson 6-4, 7-5 in a hard fought bout.
- No. 8 Austin Barr of Williams battled past Kaplan in a three-set thriller, 6-3, 6-7 (6), 6-3 in the sweet 16.
- Zach Bessette '19 (No. 5 Seed)
- Facing off against Rajan Vohra of Brandeis, Bessette notched a 6-3, 6-2 win before defeating Wesleyan's Zach Fleischman 6-1, 6-4 to earn a spot in the round of 16.
- Advancing to the elite eight, Bessette defeated Calvin Chung of Williams, 6-1, 6-4 before ultimately falling to 14th-seeded Alex Taylor (Williams) in three-sets, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (4).
- Ethan Hillis '21
- No. 14 seed Taylor of Williams edged Hillis in a close first round match, 7-5, 6-4.
- Competing in the consolation bracket, Hillis downed Wolfe, 6-2, 6-4 before downing Barr of MIT, 6-1, 6-4.
- Hillis advanced to the consolation finals with two more victories, edging Wolfe (Bowdoin), 6-3, 6-2 and downing Vanezis, 6-3, 6-4 before falling to Van Der Geest, 6-3, 6-4.
- Jayson Fung '20
- Fung fell to third-seeded William de Quant (Middlebury) in a three-set, highly contested tilt, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 on day one before withdrawing from his match in the consolation bracket.
- Oliver Kendall '19
- Falling in first round action, Kendall was edged by Wesleyan's Win Smith, 7-6 (4), 6-1.
- Kendall suffered a second setback in the consolation bracket, falling to Timo van der Geest of Middlebury, 6-4, 6-4.
- Sean Wei '21 (No. 15 Seed)
- Wei was the fourth Mammoth to earn two wins on day one of the Invite, defeating Larry Zhao of Bowdoin, 7-5, 6-3 in the opening round before rallying past Middlebury's Andre Xiao, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
- Seventh-seeded Andrew Finkelman of Wesleyan downed Wei in the third round with Finkelman earning a default victory.
- Fung / Hillis
- Paired against Noah Farrell and Peter Martin of Middlebury in the round of 32, Fung and Hillis battled to an 8-5 win to advance to the second round.
- The duo went on to capture three more wins to earn a spot in the doubles final, edging Grant and Bershstein (Tufts), 8-4, before defeating No. 8 seed Cauneac and Barr of MIT, 8-1.
- Battling teammates and No. 4 seed Bessette and Ma, the pair earned a close 9-8 (4) win, however Fung and Hillis ultimately fell in the doubles final against No. 2 seed Coramutla and Aizenberg of Brandeis, 8-6.
- Bessette / Ma (No. 4 Seed)
- Notching an 8-5 victory, fourth-seeded doubles duo Bessette and Ma edged Gil Roddy and Justin Wang (Bowdoin) to advance to day two action.
- Coming out on top versus Brandeis's Saal and Wolfe, the duo notched an 8-5 victory before toppling Battle and Shaff (Tufts), 8-2 to advance to the final four.
- Facing off against teammeates Fung and Hillis, the pair was edged, 9-8 (4).
- Wei / Kaplan
- Wei and Kaplan toppled MIT's Sean Ko and Michael Zhao, 8-2 to advance past the first round of doubles play.
- The third Mammoths' pair to advance to the final four, Wei and Kaplan posted a 8-3 win against No. 3 seed Ali and Gupte (Tufts) before downing an 8-1 victory over Carter and Sweeney of Wesleyan, 8-1.
- Falling to the eventual doubles champions, Wei and Kaplan were edged by No. 2 seed Coramutla and Aizenberg, 8-6.