MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Mammoths' doubles pairs highlighted ITA New England Regional Championship action for the Amherst College men's tennis team, as the three qualifying duos logged three upset wins against seeded opponents.
Amherst returns to action on Friday, Oct. 13, when they travel to Cambridge, Mass. to compete in the three-day MIT Invitational.
- Kevin Ma '21
- Ma fell to top-seeded Lubomir Cuba of Middlebury in first round play, 6-3, 7-6 (4).
- Zach Bessette '19
- Bessette suffered a tough, three-set loss in the round of 64, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 to Middlebury's Alex Vanezis.
- Sean Wei '21
- Wei finished 2-1 in singles action downing third-seeded Ben Rosen (Bates), 6-4, 6-3 before adding a 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-2 victory over Williams' Alex Taylor.
- Edged in the Sweet 16, Andrew Finkelman of Wesleyan defeated Wei, 6-2, 5-7, 6-2.
- Ethan Hillis '21
- Paired against Victor Cheng of MIT, Hillis notched a 7-6 (4), 6-3 victory before being edged by Brian Grodecki (Williams) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
- Nathan Kaplan '20
- Kaplan was downed by Calvin Chung (Williams) in the first round, 6-2, 6-0.
- Kaplan / Wei
- Amherst played their way into the round of 32 with an 8-1 win against Lookwhy and Casady (Gordon) in at-large action.
- Facing off against the No. 1 seed, Kaplan and Wei posted an impressive upset win, as they downed Cuba and de Quant of Middlebury, 8-3.
- Falling in the second round, the Mammoths were edged by Coramutla and Kogan of Brandeis, 8-6.
- Hillis / Oliver Kendall '19
- Hillis and Kendall powered past sixth-seeded pair De Mendiola and Rosenbluth (Babson), 8-4, before suffering an 8-4 loss to Daniels and Fleischman of Wesleyan.
- Bessette / Ma
- Bessette and Ma were the most successful Amherst duo on the weekend, as they racked up three wins beginning with a hard-fought 9-7 victory over fifth-seeded pair Ali and Sorkin (Tufts).
- Amherst downed Quijano and Glover (Bates), 8-5 to advance to the Elite 8 before falling to No. 3 Tercek and Urken of Bowdoin, 8-6.