AMHERST, Mass. – In a highly contested matchup that came down to the wire, the Mammoths were unable to overcome a 2-1 deficit as the No. 8 Amherst College men's tennis team fell to No. 10 Williams College, 5-3 in a NCAA Regional Final Saturday morning at the Amherst Tennis Court.
With the loss, Amherst concludes the 2016-17 season with an overall record of 23-6, while Williams moves to 15-7 on the year and advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals.
- The Mammoths owned a one point deficit following doubles competition, with Amherst earning a win on the third court.
- Andrew Arnaboldi '17 and Jon Heidenberg '19 battled past Sachin and Ananth Raghavan, 8-5 to give the Mammoths their first point of the day.
- In the No. 1 spot, Zach Bessette '19 and Jayson Fung '20 fell to Alex Taylor and Brian Grodecki, 8-1, while Jordan Sadowsky and Rohan Shastri bested Oscar Burney '20 and Josh Marchalik '20, 8-6 on the second court.
- Amherst secured two wins in singles action, with Bessette and Burney earning the victories on the first and fifth court, respectively.
- Facing off against Shastri at the top of the ladder, Bessette clinched a 6-2, 6-4 win, before Burney posted a hard fought 7-6, 7-5 victory against A. Raghavan in the fifth position.
- In the No. 2 spot, Grodecki downed Marchalik, 6-4, 7-6 (7-1), while S. Raghavan added a 6-4, 6-5 win against Gabe Owens '20.
- Sadowsky captured the match-winning point for the Ephs, defeating Jesse Levitin '19, 6-4, 6-4 on the sixth court.
Fourth Court: Jayson Fung vs. Deepak Indrakanti – 4-6, 6-1, 2-3, unfinished