AMHERST, Mass. – Taking on their archrivals in the final weekend of the regular season, the No. 8 Amherst College men's tennis team defeated Williams, 7-2 Saturday afternoon at the Amherst Tennis Courts.
With the win, Amherst improves to 22-3 on the year and to 6-1 in conference competition, while Williams falls to 11-6 overall (3-4 NESCAC). Amherst returns to action tomorrow, Sunday, April 30 when they host top-ranked Middlebury on Senior Day beginning at 1 p.m.
- The Mammoths swept doubles action to open the contest, with the tandem of Zach Bessette '19 and Jayson Fung '20 downing Alex Taylor and Brian Grodecki, 8-5 at the top of the ladder.
- On the second court, Oscar Burney '20 and Josh Marchalik '20 edged Jordan Sadowsky and Rohan Shastri, 8-6, while Andrew Arnaboldi '17 and Nathan Kaplan '20 bested Benjamin Lebowitz and Sachin Raghavan, 8-6 in the No. 3 spot.
- Amherst claimed wins on the first, fourth, fifth and sixth court in route to capturing the 7-2 win.
- In the first position, Bessette battled past Shastri, 6-2, 7-5, while Fung posted a three-set, 6-4, 2-6, 10-6 victory against Deepak Indrakanti in the No. 4 spot.
- In a highly contested matchup on the fifth court, Jesse Levitin '19 toppled Ananth Raghavan, 6-7 (7-3), 6-3, 10-5, before Kaplan rounded out the day with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Lebowitz in the sixth position.