AMHERST, Mass. – Taking to the courts against the Continentals and the Thoroughbreds, the No. 13 Amherst College men's tennis team powered past Hamilton, 7-2 before edging No. 23 Skidmore, 6-3 Sunday afternoon at the Amherst Tennis Courts.
With the sweep, Amherst improves to 21-3 on the season and to 5-1 in NESCAC competition, while Hamilton falls to 5-13 overall (0-6 NESCAC) and Skidmore moves to 9-6 on the year. Amherst returns to action on Saturday, April 29 when they host archrival Williams beginning at 1 p.m.
HAMILTON HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 7, Hamilton 2
- The Mammoths swept all three courts in doubles play, with the tandem of Justin Sun '19 and Jon Heidenberg '19 besting Eyad Nagori and Lars Scannell, 8-1 at the top of the ladder.
- On the second court, Sam Silver '17 and Cameron Raglin '19 downed Max McKee-Proctor and Sam Farber, 8-3, while Oliver Kendall '19 and Ben Birkenfeld '18 battled past Jon Cohen and Devin White, 8-2.
- In singles action, Amherst earned wins on the middle four courts, with Sun logging a 6-2, 6-1 win against McKee-Proctor in the No. 2 spot.
- Facing off against Cohen on the third court, Silver logged a 6-2, 6-2 victory, while Raglin and Birkenfeld secured 6-3, 6-1 and 6-0, 6-1 wins, respectively.
SKIDMORE HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 6, Skidmore 3
- Amherst owned a 2-1 edge following doubles action as the Mammoths secured wins on the first and third court.
- Zach Bessette '19 and Jayson Fung '20 fought past Kai Yuen Leung and John Wynne, 9-7, while Andrew Arnaboldi '17 and Nathan Kaplan '20 edged Nils Akesson and Jason Keye, 8-6.
- In singles competition, Gabe Owens '19 downed Wynne, 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 4 spot, while Fung toppled Travis Leaf, 6-1, 6-3 in the fifth position.
- Kaplan secured the final victory for the Mammoths, defeating Jack McClaren, 7-6, 6-3 on the sixth court.