AMHERST, Mass. – Hosting Bates in conference play, the No. 13 Amherst College men's tennis team battled past the No. 28 Bobcats, 6-3 Tuesday afternoon at the Amherst Tennis Courts.
With the win, Amherst improves to 17-3 overall and to 3-1 in NESCAC action, while Bates falls to 4-8 on the year (3-2 NESCAC). Amherst returns to action on Saturday, April 22 when they host Wheaton and No. 8 Wesleyan at the Amherst Tennis Courts at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.
- The sides concluded doubles action with Amherst owning a 2-1 advantage after the Mammoths secured victories on the first and third court.
- At the top of the ladder, Zach Bessette '19 and Jayson Fung '20 bested Ben Rosen and Chris Ellis, 8-6, while Andrew Arnaboldi '17 and Nathan Kaplan '20 fought past Josh Quijano and Josh Leiner, 8-5.
- Amherst claimed wins on four of the six singles courts to capture the 6-3 victory over the Bobcats.
- On the second court, Fung rallied back to down Ellis, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2, before Gabe Owens '20 edged Quijano in the third position, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5).
- Jesse Levitin '19 powered past Pat Ordway, 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 10-7 in the No. 5 spot, while Kaplan topped Jacob Kauppila, 6-3, 6-4 on the sixth court.