AMHERST, Mass. – Extending its win streak to four contests, the 13th-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team notched a 8-1 victory over No. 27 Swarthmore Saturday afternoon at the Amherst Tennis Courts.
With the win, Amherst improves to 16-3 on the season, while Swarthmore falls to 8-10 overall. Amherst returns to the courts on Tuesday, April 18 when they host Bates in a conference battle.
- The Mammoths swept doubles competition, as Zach Bessette '19 and Jayson Fung '20 posted an 8-2 victory against Josh Powell and Mark Fallati on the first court.
- In the second position, first-years Oscar Burney and Josh Marchalik downed Ari Cepelewicz and Thomas Vernier, 8-2, while Andrew Arnaboldi '17 and Nathan Kaplan '20 bested John Larkin and Blake Oetting, 8-4 to give Amherst a 3-0 lead.
- At the top of the ladder, Bessette defeated Fallati, 6-2, 7-5, while Marchalik swept Larkin, 6-0, 6-0 on the second court.
- Fung added a 6-3, 6-3 against Simon Vernier in the third position, while Jesse Levitin '19 edged Cepelewicz 6-4, 6-1.
- Kaplan posted the final victory for Amherst, battling past Michael Song, 6-4, 6-4 on the sixth court.