ORLANDO, Fla. - The Amherst College men's tennis team opened the spring season with back-to-back victories, defeating #30 Stevens, 8-1 and shutting out Roger Williams, 9-0 at the Sanlado Park and the USTA National Campus, respectively.
#30 STEVENS HIGHLIGHTS, 8-1 WIN
- The Purple & White secured a 8-1 victory over the Ducks behind a 6-0 sweep in singles play and a 2-1 edge in doubles action.
- On the first court, doubles duo Jayson Fung '20 and Zach Bessette '19 downed Kyle Henry and Kyle Cenderelli, 8-2, while the tandem of Josh Marchalik '20 and Gabe Owens '20 fought to a 8-3 win over Will Persson and Divia Sarthak on court three.
- In singles play, five courts were decided in two-set matches, with Anton Zykov '17 leading the way with a 6-3, 6-0 victory against Danny Polk in the No. 1 spot.
- Bessette made quick work of Kyle Henry with a 6-1, 6-1 win on the second court, while Fung posted a 1-6, 6-1, 10-1 win against Mike Feldman on court three.
- Marchalik, Owens and Jon Heidenberg '19 played in the four through six spots, respectively, with Marchalik earning a 6-4, 6-2 win, Owens claiming back-to-back 6-4 set victories and Heidenberg closing action with a 6-2, 6-0 win.
ROGER WILLIAMS HIGHLIGHTS, 9-0 WIN
- Amherst swept all nine matches to shut out Roger Wiliams, 9-0.
- All three Purple & White doubles pairs notched 8-0 victories, with Sam Silver '17 and Cameron Raglin '19 playing in the No. 1 spot, Jesse Levitin '19 and Nathan Kaplan '20 playing on the second court and Chris Paradis '20 and Oliver Kendall '19 earning the win in the third position.
- In singles action, Levitin downed Jake Cole, 6-0, 6-0 on the first court, while Kaplan and Silver each logged 6-1, 6-1 wins on courts two and three, respectively.
- In the fourth position, Paradis defeated Matt Russo, 6-1, 6-0.
- Raglin secured a 6-1, 6-0 win over Thomas O'Leary, while Kendall downed Jared Gansert, 6-0, 6-0.
- Amherst continues action in Orlando, Fla., battling Kenyon and Colby-Sawyer on Monday, Match 13 beginning at 8 a.m.