LEWISTON, Maine - Up 2-1 after doubles play, the sixth-seeded Amherst College men's tennis team went on to win three out of four singles matches to upset third-seeded Williams College, 5-2 and advance to the NESCAC Semifinals for the 11th consecutive season Friday evening at the Wallach Tennis Center on the campus of Bates College.
With the win, Amherst improves to 15-8 on the season and advances to the NESCAC Semifinals, while falls to Williams 13-4 on the year.
- With wins on courts one and three, Amherst held a 2-1 edge following doubles competition.
- In number one doubles, Aaron Revzin '16 and Michael Solimano '16 posted a 8-4 victory over Brian Grodecki and Alex Schidlovsky, while the duo of Zach Bessette '19 and Ben Fife '16 earned a point for the Purple & White with a 8-4 on court three.
- Needing only three more points to claim the victory, Amherst earned wins on the first, third, and sixth court to seal the match and advance to the semifinals.
- In the first position, Anton Zykov '17 logged a 6-2, 6-2 win against opponent Jose Raventos, while Revzin contributed his second point of the day with a hard-fought 7-5, 6-4 victory on court three.
- First-year Jesse Levitin tallied the final point for the Purple & White, downing Jordan Sadowsky, 6-3, 7-6 in number six singles.
- With the loss, Williams is eliminated from the 2016 NESCAC Championship and awaits an at-large bid to the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship on May 13-15.
- Amherst advances to the Second Round of the NESCAC Championship and will face off against second-seeded Bowdoin College on May 7 at 4:30 p.m.