Posted: Sep 25, 2015
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The Amherst College men's tennis team completed day one action at the three-day 2015 USTA/ITA Regional Championships hosted by Williams College Friday.
- Seventh seeded Michael Solimano '16 defeated Jerry Jiang of Bowdoin College (6-3, 6-2), but lost to Fergus Scott of Bates College (6-1, 6-1).
- Zach Bessette '19 defeated Emerson Kelby of Southern Maine (6-2, 6-1), before losing to Ari Smolyar of Middlebury College despite taking the opening set (4-6, 6-3, 6-1).
- Aaron Revzin '16 fell to Williams' Alex Schidlovsky, 6-3, 6-3.
- Jon Heidenberg '19 lost in three sets to the Ephs' Jose Raventos (3-6, 6-4, 6-0).
- The top seeded tandem of Solimano and Revzin defeated Andres Otero and Kohut of Western New England University, 8-2, and followed up with an 8-3 triumph over Gordon College's Zach Hall and Mason Casady.
- The duo of Ben Fife '16 and Bessette also staked a pair of victories, defeating Tufts University's Nik Telkedzhiev and Rohan Gupte, 8-4, before downing Bowdoin's combination of Gil Roddy and Grant Urken, 8-4.
- Russell Einbinder '16 and Heidenberg were defeated MIT's Tyler Barr and Alex Cauneac, 8-3.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- First-year Bessette posted his first collegiate victory on Friday.
- Amherst returns to USTA/ITA Regional action Saturday starting at 9:00 a.m. in Williamstown, Mass.