Contact: Ben Badua
AMHERST, Mass. - Playing its first dual match of the 2013-14 season, the Amherst men's tennis team defeated Massachusetts Institute of Technology on Saturday afternoon, 9-0.
Headlining doubles action, the Jeffs' Joey Fritz '14 and Justin Reindel '14 notched a decisive 8-1 victory over seniors Curtis Wu and Edwin Zhang. Aaron Revzin '16 and Michael Solimano '16 followed suit with an 8-3 win at second doubles over Eugune Oh '15 and Kevin Wang '16, while Andrew Yaraghi '16 and Anton Zykov '17 closed out doubles action with an 8-4 triumph over Jeffrey Bu '16 and Kenny Gea '17.
Coming back from a 6-4 loss in the opening set of his first singles match with Zhang, Fritz took the next two frames by scores of 6-2 and 10-3 to give Amherst the win at the top of the order. Yaraghi posted identical 6-4 victories over Wang at second singles, while Zykov dispatched of Gea, 6-3, 6-2, in the third slot.
Making quick work of Wu at fourth singles, Justin Hendrix '14 dropped just three games in a 6-1, 6-2 triumph, while first-year Myles Tang '17 blanked Dennis Garcia '16, 6-0, in the first set of their fifth singles match before taking the second, 6-3. Tied at a set apiece in his sixth singles showdown against Bu, Amherst's Andrew Arnaboldi '17 won a closely-contested tiebreak (10-8).
The Jeffs return to action on Saturday, Oct. 12 at Bates' Wallach Invitational and Johns Hopkins.
AMHERST 9, MIT 0
1. Fritz/Reindel (A) def. Wu/ Zhang (M), 8-1
2. Revzin/Solimano (A) def. Oh/Wang (M), 8-3
3. Yaraghi/Zykov (A) def. Bu/Gea (M), 8-4
1. Joey Fritz (A) def. Edwin Zhang (M), 4-6, 6-2, 10-3
2. Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Kevin Wang (M), 6-4, 6-4
3. Anton Zykov (A) def. Kenny Gea (M), 6-3, 6-2
4. Justin Hendrix (A) def. Curtis Wu (M), 6-1, 6-2
5. Myles Tang (A) def. Dennis Garcia (M), 6-0, 6-3
6. Andrew Arnaboldi (A) def. Jeffrey Bu (M), 6-4, 4-6, 10-8