Contact: Mike O'Brien
LONGMEADOW, Mass. – The fourth-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team cruised past Stevens Institute of Technology, 5-0, in the second round of the NCAA Division III Championships at the Grande Meadow Tennis Club Saturday.
Amherst (32-3) advances to the third round and will host Bowdoin tomorrow at 12 p.m. With the loss, Stevens finishes its season with a 14-12 overall mark.
The 2014 NESCAC Player of the Year, Joey Fritz '14, picked up another win Saturday in doubles action. Paired with First Team All-NESCAC selection Justin Reindel '14, the duo edged Antonio Perich '17 and Matthew Heinrich '16, 8-6. Andrew Yaraghi '16 and Aaron Revzin '16 took No. 2 doubles decisively, 8-2, while Chris Dale '14 and Michael Solimano '16 earned an 8-2 win from the No. 3 court.
Playing to decision, the Jeffs needed just two wins in singles play to clinch the match. Yaraghi and Russell Einbinder '16 earned those wins for the Purple & White on the No. 3 and No. 6 courts, respectively. Yaraghi took both sets easily with scores of 6-1 and 6-2, while Einbinder swept his opponent in both frames, 6-0.
No. 4 AMHERST 5, STEVENS 0
1. Fritz/Reindel (A) def. Perich/Heinrich (S), 8-6
2. Yaraghi/Revzin (A) def. Foran/Tisdale (S), 8-2
3. Solimano/Dale (A) def. Drake/Feldman (S), 8-4
1. Fritz (A) vs. Heinrich (S), 6-0, 5-5, unfinished
2. Zykov (A) vs. Foran (S), 4-5, unfinished
3. Yaraghi (A) def. Feldman (S), 6-1, 6-2
4. Reindel (A) vs. Drake (S), 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
5. Revzin (A) vs. Perich (S), 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
6. Einbinder (A) def. Derrington (S), 6-0, 6-0