Contact: Matthew Hart
AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College men's tennis team made its 2013 home debut a strong one, improving to 15-7 on the year with 8-1 victories over Nichols and Vassar on Saturday. Ranked 19th in the latest ITA national poll, the Lord Jeffs closed out a solid month of March with the pair of non-conference tuneups before the team opens its home conference schedule at 1 p.m. next Saturday against No. 21 Bates.
NO. 19 AMHERST 8, NICHOLS 1
In a rematch of last year's NCAA Championship Second Round, the Jeffs had little difficulty with regionally-ranked Nichols (9-4), sweeping doubles en route to the 8-1 triumph. Mark Kahan '13 and Michael Solimano '16 led the way with an 8-1 triumph over Brandon Roode and Eduardo Irizarry in the No. 1 contest while Ben Fife '16 and Justin Reindel '14 dispatched David Drucker and Justin DeLuca by the same margin and rookies Russell Einbinder and Philip Qu completed the sweep with an 8-4 win over Josh Halpern and Carlos De La Cruz at thirds.
Fife was strong atop the singles order as well, breezing past Roode, 6-0, 6-1, while Alex Kim '13 was downing DeLuca by the same scores at No. 2. Nichols picked up its lone point at third singles when Irizarry edged Einbinder, 6-4, 6-3, but the bottom of the Jeff order was too strong for their Bison counterparts as Reindel defeated Drucker, 6-0, 6-2 and No. 4, Solimano clipped De La Cruz, 6-1, 6-4, and Carlos de Bracamonte '16 closed out the lineup with a 6-0, 6-3 sixth singles win over Halpern.
1. Ben Fife (A) def. Brandon Roode (N) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alex Kim (A) def. Justin DeLuca (N) 6-0, 6-1
3. Eduardo Irizarry (N) def. Russell Einbinder (A) 6-4, 6-3
4. Justin Reindel (A) def. David Drucker (N) 6-0, 6-2
5. Michael Solimano (A) def. Carlos De La Cruz (N) 6-1, 6-4
6. Carlos de Bracamonte (A) def. Josh Halpern (N) 6-0, 6-3
1. Mark Kahan/Solimano (A) def. Roode/Irizarry (N) 8-1
2. Fife/Reindel (A) def. Drucker/DeLuca (N) 8-1
3. Einbinder/Philip Qu (A) def. Halpern/De La Cruz (N) 8-4
NO. 19 AMHERST 8, VASSAR 1
In the day's second match, Amherst swept singles play from Vassar (5-9) after taking the bottom two doubles contests. No. 3 pair Andrew Scheiner '15 and Eli Mlaver '14 got the scoring started with an 8-2 takedown of Christian Phelps and Joshua Kessler before Andrew Yaraghi'16 and Chris Dale '14 finished off Dan Freeman and Nicholas Jasso at second doubles, 8-3. The Brewers picked up their lone point when their top duo of Andrew Guzick and Daniel Cooper outlasted Joey Fritz '14 and Aaron Revzin '16, 8-6.
Amherst encountered little resistance in singles play, with the most drama coming in the No. 1 contest where Fritz edged Guzick in a tight first set, 7-6, before controlling the second, 6-3. Yaraghi was strong at second singles, beating Freeman 6-1, 6-4, after the Jeffs had already clinched the match with dominant wins at the bottom four spots. Dale downed Jasso, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 while Scheiner cruised past Cooper in the next slot down, 6-0, 6-2. Surain Asokaraj '13 notched a 6-0, 6-2 win over Phelps at fifth singles and Revzin was the quickest winner of the day at No. 6, overwhelming Kessler 6-0, 6-0.
1. Joey Fritz (A) def. Andrew Guzick (V) 7-6, 6-3
2. Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Dan Freeman (V) 6-1, 6-4
3. Chris Dale (A) def. Nicholas Jasso (V) 6-1, 6-0
4. Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Daniel Cooper (V) 6-0, 6-2
5. Surain Asokaraj (A) def. Christian Phelps (V) 6-2, 6-1
6. Aaron Revzin (A) def. Joshua Kessler (V) 6-0, 6-0
1. Guzick/Cooper (V) def. Fritz/Revzin (A) 8-6
2. Yaraghi/Dale (A) def. Freeman/Jasso (V) 8-3
3. Scheiner/Eli Mlaver (A) def. Phelps/Kessler (V) 8-2