AMHERST, Mass. – The top-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team kicked off a big NESCAC weekend with a convincing 9-0 win over 24th-ranked Trinity College on Saturday.
The Lord Jeffs improve to 24-2 (5-0) and will take on third-ranked Williams College tomorrow.
The match was never in doubt for the Lord Jeffs, who swept doubles play before winning all six singles matches in straight sets. Austin Chafetz '12 and Luis Rattenhuber '13 were particularly impressive for Amherst, posting an 8-1 victory in the top doubles bout.
Chafetz was just as dominant in singles play, as he cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win at number two, with Mark Kahan '13 posting the same score in the top match. Rattenhuber picked up the win at No. 3 (6-1, 6-3), followed by Joey Fritz '14 (6-4, 6-1), Andrew Jung '12 (6-3, 6-2) and Wes Waterman '12 (6-2, 6-1).
Amherst will carry its nine-match win streak into Williamstown against an Eph squad that has yet to lose this year. Sunday's match is set to begin at 2 p.m.
#1 Amherst def. #24 Trinity (CT), 9-0
1. Austin Chafetz/Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Charles McConnell/Kayong Lee (T), 8-1
2. Mark Kahan/Chris Dale (A) def. Dan Carpenter/Jugal Marfatia (T), 8-3
3. Wes Waterman/Robby Sorrel (A) def. Ilya Levin/Ned Mandel (T), 8-6
1. Mark Kahan (A) def. Kayong Lee (T) 6-1, 6-1
2. Austin Chafetz (A) def. Jugal Marfatia (T) 6-1, 6-1
3. Luis Rattenhuber (A) def. Charles McConnell (T) 6-1, 6-3
4. Joey Fritz (A) def. Ned Mandel (T) 6-4, 6-1
5. Andrew Jung (A) def. Dan Carpenter (T) 6-3, 6-2
6. Wes Waterman (A) def. Ilya Levin (T) 6-2, 6-1