CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The top-ranked Amherst College men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season with an 8-1 win at MIT, marking the Lord Jeffs' final event of the fall season.
Mark Kahan '13 (Unionville, Conn.) led the charge with his 21st consecutive singles victory, as he earned a 6-4, 7-6(3) win over Edwin Zhang in the No. 1 matchup. Kahan also teamed up with Chris Dale '14 (Austin, Texas) for an 8-6 win over Matthew Skalak and Zhang in the top doubles match.
MIT—ranked eighth in the Northeast and 25th in Division III—got its lone point when Larry Pang and Eugene Oh defeated Amherst's Wes Waterman '12 (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) and Andrew Jung '12 (Battle Creek, Mich.) at number two, 8-5.
Julian Camacho '12 (New York, N.Y.) and first-year Jon Cypers (Chappaqua, N.Y.) helped the Jeffs carry a 2-1 lead into singles play with their convincing 8-2 win in the third doubles match.
Singles competition was controlled by the Jeffs, who won five of the six matchups in straight sets. Alex Kim '13 (Seoul, Korea) was particularly impressive for the Jeffs, as he did not lose a single game in his win over Andrew Cooper at No. 6. Dale pulled out a three-set win over Pang at number four, coming back from a 6-0 loss in the second set to win the deciding frame, 6-4.
Rounding out Amherst's lineup were Jung (No. 2), Waterman (No. 3) and Cypers (No. 5), who each won convincingly in their respective matches.
#1 Amherst College def. #25 MIT, 8-1
1) Mark Kahan/Chris Dale (AMH) def. Matthew Skalak/Edwin Zhang (MIT) 8-6
2) Larry Pang/Eugene Oh (MIT) def. Wes Waterman/Andrew Jung (AMH) 8-5
3) Julian Camacho/Jon Cypers (AMH) def. Brian Oldfield/Andrew Cooper (MIT) 8-2
1) Mark Kahan (AMH) def. Edwin Zhang (MIT) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2) Andrew Jung (AMH) def. Eugene Oh (MIT) 6-1, 6-4
3) Wes Waterman (AMH) def. Brian Oldfield (MIT) 6-2, 6-2
4) Chris Dale (AMH) def. Larry Pang (MIT) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
5) Jon Cypers (AMH) def. Matthew Skalak (MIT) 6-0, 6-2
6) Alex Kim (AMH) def. Andrew Cooper (MIT) 6-0, 6-0