NEW LONDON, Ct. – No. 17 Amherst men's swimming and diving placed first in 12 events to cruise past Connecticut College, 203-95, on Saturday afternoon at Lott Natatorium.
Getting back in the win column, Amherst improves to 5-1 on the season while Connecticut College drops their third loss, moving to an even 3-3 mark.
The Mammoths dive back into action with back-to-back meets next weekend, first taking on Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) on Feb. 1st at 1:00 p.m. before they host Senior Day on Feb. 2nd at 1:00 p.m. during their matchup with Springfield College.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Opening things with the 200 medley relay, the quartet of Kevin Ma '23, Sean Mebust '20, Jack Koravos '20, and Scott Romeyn '22 brought home the fastest time of 1:33.76 for the opening points on the day.
- After the Mammoths dropped the 1650 freestyle and placed second in the 200 freestyle (Kou Li '21), Craig Smith '20 swam for a time of 53.09 to clinch the 100 backstroke.
- Amherst claimed the top-three spots in the 100 breaststroke with Mebust marking first with a time of 58.26. Malcolm Scannell '22 placed second (1:00.46) while Gary Sun '22 finished third (1:01.45).
- Edging second place finisher Marc Stern, Austin Lee '22 swam into first place with a time of 1:58.46 in the 200 butterfly.
- Just before the diving events, Romeyn made short work of the field in the 50 freestyle, winning with a time of 20.91 seconds.
- The top spots in the 1-meter diving event were covered in Purple & White as Bennett Fagan '20 posted a score of 265.95 while Tom Amsbry '22 followed close behind with a score of 244.87.
- In the 100 freestyle, Romeyn secured another first place finish after touching the wall in 46.41 seconds before Smith won the 200 backstroke with a time of 1:54.49.
- Beating out every Camel competitor by nearly six seconds, Mebust shined in the 200 breaststroke before Koravos brought home the 100 butterfly with a 51.16 mark.
- On the 3-meter board, Amsbry edged Fagan for the top-spot with a score of 261.37.
- Koravos, Mebust, Tristan So '21, and Romeyn finished the meet with a first place finisher in the 200 freestyle relay (1:25.75).