SCHENECTADY, N.Y. -- In their opening meet of the 2019-20 campaign, Amherst men's swimming and diving captured a demanding 234-42 win over Union College on Saturday afternoon.
The Mammoths, who topped Union 244-49 just a year ago, secure their first victory on the season. Amherst will rest this week and travel to New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) foe, Connecticut College, for a bout on Saturday, November 23rd. Union will also face a NESCAC opponent in their next outing when they take on Williams on the road.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst got things started quickly in event #2 as the 200 yard medley relay consisted of the Mammoths in the top-four spots and the fastest time locking in at 1:35.52.
- The Mammoths secured the top-two spots in the 1000 yard freestyle with Will Henshon '23 leading the way with a 10:59.33 finish, while Flanagan Waldherr '21 sat eight seconds behind him (11:07.54).
- Tristan So '21 led the 200 yard freestyle, touching the wall in 1:44.51 while Adi Arifovic '22 sat three seconds ack at 1:47.96.
- In the 100 yard backstroke, Craig Smith clinched a 52.44 time while Kevin Ma '23 finished in second with a 53.17 time.
- Sean Mebust '20 (57.19) and Gary Sun '22 (59.89) claimed first and second, respectively, in the 100 yard breaststroke. Mebust also stole another win for Amherst in event #22 with a 2:07.11 mark in the 200 breaststroke.
- Austin Lee '22 swept number one in the 200 yard butterfly with a 1:58.51 time before following up that performance with a time of 4:53.98 in the 500 yard freestyle.
- Winning his first event on the afternoon, Scott Romeyn notched a time of 21.34 to take the 50 yard freestyle. Romeyn also won the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 47.02.
- In the opening diving event, Bennett Fagan '20 and Tom Amsbry '22 took first and second, with Fagan posting 3/4ths of a point better than Amsbry to win the 3-meter board.
- Smith posted his second win on the day, touching the wall at 1:52.63 to triumph in the 200 backstroke.
- Jack Koravos '20 (51.85) and Christian Moy '23 (52.27) were able to edge the Bulldogs by just over two seconds to claim the 100 butterfly.
- In the 1-meter diving, Amsbry was able to best the rest of the field with a strong score of 255.00.
- In the final individual competition, Brandon Wang '20 (1:59.48) and Wong (2:00.83) took the top spots in the 200 IM while the relay team of Moy, Romeyn, So, and Koravos solidified the 16-event sweep with a 1:26.04 finish in the 200 yard freestyle relay.